Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zioviche

Osmocote

viche
18 years ago

What is a general guide for what type of fertilizer to use on different plants? To name a few I have:

Azaleas

Stella Doro Daylilies

Coreopsis

Hydrangeas

Violas and other assorted annuals

I divided the daylilies last fall and they have only bloomed once this year. Someone suggested a bloom enhancing fertilizer with extra phosphorus...any suggestions?

Also, can I still use Osmocote that is 3 or 4 years old? It has been stored in an plastic bag in a rubbermade container in on outdoor shed. It is still dry.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Generalities (& what I use as a rough guide):

Those plants that bloom and have good foliage color, use a fertilizer with a high second # (P) in relationship to the N and K (first & third) percentages.

Plants that are grown for foliage, use a higher first # (N).

Those plants that prefer an acid soil will often appreciate an acid-forming fertilizer, like Miracid or equal.

Fertilizer (chemical) doesn't deteriorate with age, your timed release product is still good.

Al

• viche
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So I guess using something with high P would be good for the lilies?

• creatrix
    18 years ago

My 'Happy Returns' is just now thinking about re-blooming. They had a good first flush (plenty of water) and since then it's been hot and drier. I'd give them some more time.

But then I usually give all my perennials a dose of Bulbtone in the spring and nothing else. Most shrubs (except roses)don't need fertilizing, unless they are showing symptoms of a nutrient deficiency. Annuals I do feed more often, especially those in containers.

I used to use a lot of fertilizers, but I haven't noticed much if any difference since I reduced my use. For some reason, plants were given what they need to do what they do on ther own. I think the little bit of Bulbtone I give my plants is more for me than them!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Tough to get more than general w/o knowing your soil, & anything you do w/o a soil test is just a little better than a stab in the dark. Established plantings use nutrients quickly as they grow vigorously, so fertilizer applications are usually appropriate.

In poor soils or on light or sandy soils which tend to leach badly, several moderate applications of a good complete fertilizer such as 10-10-10, 5-10-10, or 5-10-5 should be made in the spring or early summer. In rich soils, a single spring application might be more appropriate. A low nitrogen fertilizer such as 3-12-12 or 4-8-12 should be used in the late summer or early fall period. Older, larger clumps should be fertilized more heavily than newer plantings since both the plants and the soil will become exhausted after a few years. To best determine the nutrient needs of your soil, take a soil sample and have it analyzed. Contact your local county agricultural agent for instructions.

Al

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus