Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
utgal_gw

Lantana Camera

utgal
18 years ago

Hi, I bought a Lantana camera about 1-2 weeks ago. I've repotted it in a clay pot and it seems to be doing fine. However, all of the blossoms are gone and there are now little green, black-spotted "bulbs" everywhere, and an occasional green berry.

I thought these were bulbs preparing to re-blossom, but nothing has happened in a few days. Am I supposed to trim these "bulbs" (for lack of a better word) off for the plant to flower again?

Also, I've been seeing a lot about "pinching" as opposed to "trimming." I have no idea what that is; do you literally pinch off the end with your thumb and forefinger?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (7)

• gardenergail
    18 years ago

I've had the pink and white lantana and the dark pink/orange/yellow lantana, and on mine, the little green things, that turn to the little black things, are seeds. When the bloom cluster dies off, the seeds are produced there. When they turn black, they're ready to pick off and save for next year. The seed is inside the black "berry-like" thing. There's a blackberry-like juice inside and the seed is in the middle. I let them dry out but then I didn't get them planted this year, I just went and bought some more. If that's what your things are, you will not be able to "catch" all of them... they produce a lot of these! It may re-seed itself next year, or in your zone it could be hardy. I haven't had one survive winter but I know others whose did.

As far as pinching goes, I don't. Unless it's getting sprawled out all over and I want to shape it up some. In most cases, it will make it bushier if you pinch the growing tip off because it will cause the plant to produce more side shoots off of that stem. Mums are like that.

How big is it? I plant mine in the ground and right now (planted in late April/early May) they're about 18" tall with about a 2&1/2 foot spread!

Gail

• gardenergail
    18 years ago

Oh, yeah...
    The plant will continue to bloom whether you leave these on or cut them off. I usually leave mine on and it keeps blooming, but it may bloom MORE if they're cut off... I don't know.
    Gail

• utgal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just went to Lowe's this afternoon and I ended up buying another plant. :-) While I was there, they had some lantanas so I showed the guy in the garden center the "bulbs" I was concerned about and he said that those were the actual flowers and that they would bloom later. He said not to cut them off, otherwise I'd be left with a weed like plant. They're not all black; they're green and have little spots all over them; black or dark brown, I can't really tell.

I guess if they don't hurt anything I'll leave them alone. I'm just wondering what happened to all the flowers! :-)

Thanks!

• utgal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh yeah, I'm not sure of its exact dimensions but it's in a pot since I have no yard, just a patio. But for a potted plant it seems to be a pretty good size; I have the feeling that it's going to get much bigger. :-)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Lantana camAra blooms much for prolifically if the seed pods are removed. It takes a lot of energy to produce seeds, and once a plant is in the reproductive mode.....it may just concentrate on that. To keep a plant in the juvenile stage, keep it clipped.

I still think that what you are seeing are the young seed pods. They turn blue or purple as they ripen. I have no idea what you mean by bulbs, since the BUDS of lantana are pretty obviously flower buds. Any way to send a picture?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• utgal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the picture! YES! That is what they are, seed pods. I took a closer look at the plant and I can clearly see the buds of the lantana. The plant is FULL of seed pods. I'm not sure how to insert a picture. Thanks so much, I will begin trimming!

• lvroom
    16 years ago

POISONOUS PLANT!
    My male English Setter just spent 5 days at the vets (over $1,000) vomiting and spewing bloody diarrhea. My female had fewer symptoms, there for 2 days. I discovered the culprit was my lantana camera when I brought it to the deck. My male went past 8 other pots of flowers and trees, whirled around and ran to it with mouth open! I guess the smell attracted them. My on-line research has verified this from Canada (summer annual and house plant)to Cornell, Illinois, and Colorado vet school sites. The greatest toxicity is in the green berries, but the rest is also apparently toxic. It is used extensively in the south for pots, hanging baskets, shrubs, ground covers. In the deep south it is evasive in fields and kills cattle. BEWARE, THIS KILLS! Check on-line Cornell Unicersity Poisonous Plants Information Database.