Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
salad days INDEED

Posted by spellcheck pa (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 05 at 17:33

what are the basic soil / water / nutrient requirements for growing a fair to quality head of lettuce?

i planted one of those packets 'mescula mix' or something to that effect, and it is incredibly bitter. so much so that it kinda burns my poor mouth

and it is not as though it has been harvested all summer (last year's lettuce became bitter after 3-4 trimmings)

the other standard green variety at the beginning of the leafy veg row is a little bitter too but not nearly as bad. the spinach at the end of the row is just fine.

what is going on? etc

much appreciated / josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: salad days INDEED

Josh, mesclun mix or any kind of lettuce prefers cool temperatures. I don't know where you are located in PA, but here in zone 6, we've been having hot, hot weather! Lettuce will rapidly go to seed and become bitter in those kinds of temps.

As for the requirements, lettuce prefers loose, fertile, well-drained soil. (As does most everything else. LOL).

o

Plus, I think that some of those lettuces are naturally bitter, much like their close relative....wild lettuce. The bitterness just hasn't been bred out of them, like we've done to the others! So maybe it's a combination of genetics plus temperatures?

o

you know, that would make sense
as it has been wildly hot this summer

i am considering growing some indoors just to have on hand. along with maybe some broccoli. it would be nicer than going to the grocery.

thanks for the input, both of you

yours / josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here