Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pufftrinket

Exicted about my new plants! A list of what I got....

pufftrinket
18 years ago

I am just so excited I need to share it! Husband and I bought plants today- both us us excited and happy!

This is what we got...

1 trumpet vine

1 spearmint

2 silver artemesia

1 forget me not

1 oxeye coreopsis

5 Siberian Iris

1 ajuga

1 crwon vetch

4 Asian lily

1 lysmachia

2 yellow daylily

2 lady's bell's (I think that's what they are called)

1 "something" I forgot the name of! (hee)

I can't wait to start researching and finding places for all these! I would, of course, appreciate any comments or advice anyone wants to give. I'm scared to say how much we paid, because I am so new at this, I am sure it was too much- but it's so fun, I don't care!

Comments (7)

• blueheron
    18 years ago

Remember that the spearmint and the lysimachia are VERY invasive. So be careful where you plant it. What kind of lysimachia did you get? There are a couple of kinds. Purple loosestrife is the one that is banned in many states. Gooseneck loosestrife and creeping jenny are two other kinds. I have both.

• lindac
    18 years ago

Everything you bought with the exception of the Asiatic lilys and th yellow daylilys are very VERY invasive.
    The forgetme-nots will re seed and be easy to pull up....not sure what you mean by "ox-eye coreopsis"...I know opxeye daisys and several kinds of coreopsis....som e of the coreopsis can be rampant seeders....oxeye daisy will take over the world in a season.
    Allow all the plants lots of room and mulch well between them.
    Linda C

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Most of those plants are used here:
    we have such harsh conditions that we're grateful for anything that'll grow & thrive all by its own self!

Loosestrife is often used in commercial landscapes.

If you find yourself over-endowed with any of those plants, post your extras on the plant exchange (or on the Texas exchange!).

I particularly love artemesia, & my orange trumpet vine covers some pretty awkward structures each summer.

I once saw a telephone pole with chicken wire wrapped around it, & orange trumpet vine covered the whole lower part of it.

Much better than the original bare pole...

Best luck, & have fun!

sylvia

• sresutek
    18 years ago

If your soil is anything like my MIL's (Eastern MI), then you will be able to grow anything and these invasive plants might prove true to their reputations!

I was told on this website not to buy trumpet vine. If you will be planting it in an area where it's only the vine and lots of grass that gets mowed often, then you can control the spreading somewhat (someone said they get new shoots up to 30' away).

I DID read that if you want to control a plant from spreading, you can plant it in the ground with a pot around it - that'll prevent a lot of the spreading. Can anyone else here provide better details about this method?

• shiollie
    18 years ago

I got interested in Trumpet Vines when I lived in GR, our neighbor had a Trumpet Vine so old that the trunk was a good 2 foot in diameter, It was georgous!!! That being said, there was no controlling that plant we had to rip it out of our basement walls and the people across the street were also complaining about the humongous root system that this plant had. They finally ripped the plant out but the roots are still growing all over everyone elses yards.

• pufftrinket
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am actually looking forward to watching them all spread and take over. I have 18 acres total, two of which we consider "yard" I am working on right now. I am THRILLED to hear what you say, SarahTX. Seeing Trmpet vine 30 feet away would be just fine with me....at least I think so now. If I have to retract that statement a few years from now, I promise to do it with a smile!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    18 years ago

The siberian iris are some of my favorites - carefree and gorgeous. I also have several varieties, and love them all. The daylilies and the oriental lilies are great garden plants as well. If you got a reblooming kind, the daylily will bloom most of the season for you.

If you post what kind on some of these, like the daylily, lysimachia and the lady's bells (the latin name should be on the tag) you will get more info. (Yellow lysimachia is OK, white needs to be treated like the spearmint below and deadheaded, and the pink needs to be put into the trash as it seeds into wild wetlands courtesy of birds and will damage far more than your own garden.) I'd plant the artemesia and the spearmint in bottomless containers - I use damaged chimney tiles which you can get for cheap or free from mansonry contractors or suppliers - so that they don't get out of control. You may say that you want spreaders, now, but once they are out of control, they are a huge amount of work to eradicate. (yes, this is the voice of experience.) Be sure to religiously deadhead and put in the trash (NOT the compost) plants like the crown vetch. I have some ajuga growing between a large dense rhodie, a stone wall and the gravel drive. The rhodie's shade, the snow plow and the rock wall keep it in bounds, but I wouldn't plant it in an area that it can spread unchecked. It does do a good job of keeping down weeds under the edge of the shrub, but it will drown other less vigorous plants, so be careful where you plant it.

If you honestly want feedback on plants you are going to buy to take advantage of others' experience, you might want to ask before you buy to save yourself money and heartache later on. (not intended as criticism, just a friendly suggestion.) ;>)

I've put time and money into several plants that I've later sincerely regretted. Below is a link that shares the experiences of a bunch of New England gardeners - you could try something similar on the midwest or Michigan forums (if there are ones with those names - I kknow there are forums for your area.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants I wish I'd never planted

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz