Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question re: watermelons...

Posted by krystine 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 05 at 20:55

I'm growing both sugarbabies and large watermelons in my sfg and have quite a few little melons growing on each vine.

Am I supposed to only have a few watermelons per vine? Should I be pinching some off? (I always feel bad when I do that!)

Thanks in advance for your replies...

Kristine (my first garden ever!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kristine's Garden Blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question re: watermelons...

It is up to you. If the fruits are growing to their full size then you can stick with what you have, otherwise remove some.

Many folks remove all but 2 mellons from the vines. I was told (by a gardening catalog) that sugar babies normally only set 2 (or so) fruits. LOL. Wonder where they go that idea from as that wasn't my experience with them and doesn't appear to be yours either..

o

Thank you for replying... maybe I'll remove some melons from one or two vines to see if they grow bigger.

o
When do you plant sugar baby watermelons

Hi All,

I am a novice at gardening, this is my first year and I am truly loving the outcome. I have tomatoes and cucumbers and wanted to try watermelon. I got the seeds from a mail order company a few days ago that are suppose to send when it is right for planting. Is it to late to sart them? They are sugarbaby watermelons

o

Too late for watermelon this year. I would save the seed for next year; they should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here