Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I.D. creeping fern like ???

Posted by scwolves z5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 21:11

I've posted a picture of a plant that's becoming rather instrusive and overbearing. I want to call it a weed just because of it's ability to thrive and crawl. I have no idea what it is though? Do you?

It's in the GARDEN 2005 album in the photo area below. The picture is titled "WHAT IS THIS". It has tiny white flowers (that look similar to queen ann's lace)and is fern like. It is thriving in a very dry area with partial sun.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scwolves2000/my_photos

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Sherri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I.D. creeping fern like ???

Yarrow, a weed or a garden perennial, depending upon how you feel about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yarrow

o
RE: I.D. creeping fern like ???

This looks to be native yarrow, Achillea millefolium. Do some searching for info on this plant by species name. It can be a really nice thing to have or a big weedy problem, depending on your style of garden, where it is in relation to other plants, and just how invasive it is getting.

There are lots of colored varieties out there in the garden market. Most will be less aggressive than the native white, so you need to research this particular species, with white flowers, before you decide what to do with it.

It's very drought resistant, and is usually taller rather than sprawling (Possibly due to the part shade. It loves sun. ) It tolerates mowing, and flowers low... Sometimes used as lawn replacement. Attracts beneficial insects. Nice addition to a wildflower area, as long as it doesn't get too out of hand.

If you decide to get rid of some clumps, and live in far NW Ohio, I might be interested in adopting a few orphan clumps [grins]. Weeds are only weeds when they're in the wrong place.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here