Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
increasing water pressure to lawn sprinklers

Posted by
Shannon
(scrossler69@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Jul 2, 06 at 21:46

I have a well and use a RO system. My water pressure in the house is fine. However, I battle low pressure when running the sprinkler outside. Any ideas of how to increase the water pressure to the sprinkler only.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: increasing water pressure to lawn sprinklers

If the sprinkler is hooked to a hose which is hooked to an outdoor faucet, the problem could well be that the faucet is not/cannot open sufficiently wide to allow the water to continually fill the hose. A sign of this is when you turn on the faucet, wait a minute, and then turn on the sprinkler which will run properly for a bit before evidencing a gradually diminishing water-flow -- the sprinkler literally is not receiving enough water to run full-force. A blockage in the water pipe leading to the faucet will have the same effect. Unless you are very handy with plumbing, call a plumber to repair.

A second possibility is a kink, hole, or leaky connector in the hose; any of which would have the effect of diminishing the water supply to the sprinkler. Check the hose to remove kinks; and all connections to be sure they are properly tight and non-leaky.

A third possibility is simply that the sprinkler does not run as forcefully as you expect it to, due either to having a blockage within the unit, or as a matter of design (changeable only by changing the sprinkler itself).

A fourth thought is that the well system cannot keep it's tank refilled as fast as the sprinkler is pulling the water. I'd consider this unlikely, but as a last resort, check to see if you can run an in-house sink faucet full force continually for 20 minutes without diminished pressure. (Conserve the water by attaching a hose to the faucet or otherwise saving the water for re-use.)

o

I'll bet you are using 1/2" hose. Try getting a hose that has an inside diameter of 3/4".

o

We have an existing deep well pump pushing 19psi dynamic
and flowing aprox. 2 gpm out of a half inch line - this is not enough to effect use of sprinklers. Only get about 4' spray out of sprinklers. I have access to a 2" line coming from the well which feeds three yards containing 16 sprinkler heads each on 1/2" lines. Would like to add a booster pump at the 2" line to increase pressure to these three yards. How do I install it without trying to increase the pressure in the 2" pipe also? Any suggestion to size and type of pump? Thanks for any suggestions!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here