Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kara91

Is everything thriving in your garden?

kara91
18 years ago

This may be a silly question, but is there ever a time in your garden when all of your plants are thriving and healthy at the same time? It just seems like there's always at least one plant (more likely 3 or 4!) in my garden with a disease/bug that I'm trying to fix.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• lindac
    18 years ago

I wouldn't begin to answer that.....for fear the garden boogie man will get me....
    But.....seems he is somewhere else for a while....not to brag or anything....making the anti evil eye sigh.....crossed fingers....knocking wood.....tossing salt over my shoulder.....

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Nah.
    Can't happen here:

I live in an area with harsh summers, & I'm happy if just *something* is gorgeous at any one time!

Right now, a white penta is fresh & clean & beautiful in this oppressive heat. makes me feel cooler to look at it.

and I got a candlestick plant ("stick" being an accurate description at the time!) at a benefit sale earlier this year, & now it's taller than I am!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

This is my first real growing season with hard red Alabama clay. Last fall and throughout the winter and spring, we've put down turf, some woody ornamentals, trees of various kinds, and all kinds of annual and perennials that I've grown myself from seed.

We've gone through weeks when we've had gushing rain every day, followed by days of withering heat and no rain.

My question is: why do people complain about their hard clay soils? I'm absolutely enthralled! Surprised as heck, too.

(Like Linda, though....knock on wood, etc.,etc.)

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

I very rarely have any problems. I do practice companion-planting with great emphasis on mixing strong-smelling plants [to deter passing bugs] in with the ones I'm growing for flowers or for food. I do use milky spore to cut down on japanese beetle infestations. Because I'm OG (an organic gardener), I'm constantly renewing the soil structure with mulch and compost, and I don't have to worry about my plants contending with contaminated soil. Most problems in my gardens are caused by the weather - torrential downpours or high winds will knock plants down; summer droughts sneak up on us; and there is frequent high humidity in which blackspot and mildews thrive. But, (and I know lots of folks won't agree with me on this) if a plant has a problem which is not weather-caused, and can't be cured with a friendly spray of baking soda-and-water, then it gets pulled up and disposed of right into the trash! It only hurts for a little while; you soon learn to be a lot more careful about what you plant and where it's planted because that's less painful that yanking up stuff.

Make list of those plants which seem prone to problems. Sometimes they can be replaced with a similar but hardier or more resistant variety, such as using phlox "david" which is resistant to the mildews so many garden phlox are prone to catching. Be sure your plants are meant for your zone (yes, one can often plant 'out-of-zone' but those babies usually require specialized siting and care to prevent problems).

Check to see that sun-lovers are getting sufficient sun; and that the watering is appropriate for the plant. A frequent drought/drown sequence can weaken a plant. Remember that weak or ill plants seem to draw bugs; strong healthy plants apparently just aren't as tasty to the passing bug.

Also consider if your soil is healthy; most plants are happiest in a loam that contains a lot of humus. Or it may be that the plants are sickly because the soil type is totally wrong for the plant, i.e. lavender and dianthus aren't going to do well unless they have really superb drainage so if they sitting in solid clay at the bottom of a hill, it's likely they will have problems.

Finally, if sun, water, and soil are all appropriate but the plant/s remain sickly or too prone being bug-eaten, - get rid of all the sick plants! And *don't* plant another one of the same type in the same place that did have a sick one. Numerous diseases can be in the soil; there's no point in needlessly infecting a healthy plant.

• cindi_bau
    18 years ago

I have to agree with Meldy - a lot of plant problems are a result of "right plant, wrong place" - the gardener might like it there, that doesn't mean the plant will approve!

My garden always has one (or two, or three...) trouble spots. Just yesterday, I noticed my beautiful monkshood had just decided to it was time to turn all yellow and flop. Need to get back there with some compost! But that will help next year, not this one. Oh well, it was almost done flowering.

Keep your eyes on plants that are not doing well and read up on them. Also, don't be afraid to move stuff or just toss something out. Just because the last homeowner put it in doesn't mean it has to stay!

Since you are in Seattle (I lived there for 12 years) it will be easy to find good organic solutions to some of your problems. Even Fred Meyer carries Whitney Farm products. I miss them!

Good luck and don't get discouraged!

• krystine
    18 years ago

This is my first year gardening, and most things in my square foot garden beds appear to be thriving, except for the cauliflower and brocolli which the white moths have been dining on (I think!) Next year I won't be growing those 2 veggies.

Now the perennials I planted... I'd say most are doing well. The Astilbe are crispy critters and I've been trying to bring them back.

I'm learning so many new things each day... so many lessons I've learned so far this year! (For example, a 2 person family doesn't need 8 zuchinni plants!)

Next year, I'll do a lot of things different...

Kristine

Here is a link that might be useful: Kristine's Garden Blog

• Chris_MI
    18 years ago

After 10 years of growing hosta, I have my first plant with crown rot-it is growing in sandy loam with lots of compost, in the middle of a bed--it is sum and substance. It has been growing happily for 3 years in that spot. Too much rain during the past 2 weeks. so while I may agree with Meldy on most of the observations, sometimes things happen beyond our control. My zuchini is dead from striped beetles. The crab grass that is spreading from my neighbors is doing well-hand removal will start today. Also can't control the chipmunks and deer damage.

• tracey_nj6
    18 years ago

It's always something ;)

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

Krystine - don't give up on broccoli! I almost did, and then tried ultra-lightweight row covers over the plants. Yayhoo! it does work to keep all bugs off - worm-free broc at last! Then I refined it just a bit by making 'boxes' covered with row cover and refined that by using "bridal netting" which is lots more durable. My best boxes are 2' on each side and 30" high; the top is held on with hook&eyes to make it easier to harvest (that was my main complaint with using plain row cover, it's a pain to lift off and back on, even when held up with framework). The box is plopped down as soon as the transplant goes into the garden - hey, that also compels proper spacing; and that's it: lift the lid to harvest, and remove after the season is over. BTW, most brocs will make one big head and then continue on with lots more salad-sized after the biggie is harvested.

• chadnliz
    18 years ago

mine is looking good, could use more rain, tired of watering it. But im sad :( im moving in a couple of weeks but Im taking the perinals with me. well only 3 plants lol

• weeddummie
    18 years ago

Hmm...being a newbie in the gardening scene, I'm probably have not identified any obvious problems yet - so ignorance is almost bliss here ;)

At the moment though I have a suspicious problem with my potted plants. The ones outside seem to thrive well on their own (knock on wood too). Perhaps problems sort themselves out somehow...like when I had aphids, and was thinking to do something about it...the lady bug numbers grew and it's not a problem now. And I always see birds in my backyard, I'd like to think they're doing their part too :)

Oh, and the weeds are thriving, but that's a different story ...:)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

I agree with Meldy on all counts. Thanks for the bridal tulle tip. How clever. Good fertile soil is key. There is always something that has some problem, but that's gardening. It wouldn't be normal without something to get me frustrated out there! Usually it's the tunneling varmints, though. LOL. An organic garden usually takes care of itself. A few bug bites actually stimulate plant growth.

I do rip things out when I've had enough of their problems. The garden is for my pleasure afterall. The best time in the garden is usually the end of August. Things are just flowing nicely by then and all the annuals are looking gorgeous.