Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown edges on leaves of plants/trees

Posted by dbastari Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 22:03

Hi
I am new to this forum and have been looking for a topic that would discuss an issue I am having with several plants...I have a crape myrtle, a variegate wegeila and 2 viburnums that are fairly new. They were planted this year. Several of the leaves on all of these plants look scorched and brown around the edges. Some leaves have turned completely brown and scorched. I dont know if it is because of the 100+ degree weather we have been having or if there is some kind of fungus causing it. Can this be water stress or something else? I dont think I am watering too much. Any suggestions/help would be appreciates. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown edges on leaves of plants/trees

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 23:36

Yes, water stress -- big time, the because the roots haven't had enough time to grow into the surrounding soil.

Build a dike at the edge of the rootball, then fill the basin every day.

And, if possible, rig temporary shade.

o

Water slowly, and use your finger to check the depth of the moisture -- and it's going to require lots more water than you expect! Drip irrigation (even in the form of a tiny hole in a bucket's bottom) is far more effective than a sprinkler, which loses too much to evaporation. Poking along the dripline, you should be able to feel moist soil at least 3" deep the day following the watering. Also, a deep mulch will help prevent evaporation in those hot temperatures.

Link is to one sort of drip irrigator, especially handy if you don't like to poke holes in your buckets!

Here is a link that might be useful: LV's tree irrigator

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 19:31

No need to poke holes in buckets. Can make the same ssosrt of slow watering device with plastic jugs. Put two pinholes in the bottomwhere it turns upward, one on opposite corners.

Set the jugs on top of the original rootball. You need three 1-gallon jugs for a 15-gallon tree. Fill the jugs daily.

o

I am looking for ideas on how to protect some of my plants from the hot sun. I have heard about a special fabric that you can put over the plants on a temporary basis that will protect from the sun but still allow for air circulation. I can't get anymore info on it. Is it a myth?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here