Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyfarms_gw

Landscape vs garden

harmonyfarms
17 years ago

While posting in another thread I started thinking (always scary)...

What is the difference between landscaping and gardening (or a landscape and a garden)?

Is this the dumbest question EVER?

Comments (5)

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

I don't think it's a dumb question :)

If we go to the dictionary, we find that "garden" is usually defined (primary to your q] as "A plot of land used for the cultivation of flowers, vegetables, herbs, or fruit. And "landscape" is defined [primary to your q] as "An expanse of scenery that can be seen in a single view." Lots of other definitions for both words, especially in when considered in common usage.

So, we say we are gardeners/gardening if we have been actively involved in the process of deliberately cultivating a spcific portion of land (the garden, aka plot, bed, yard, etc.); but when we stand back to take a look at what's been done to the scenery, then we are looking at a landscape.

I think some of the confusion arises because there are those folk who think it sounds more "professional" [read $$$] to call themselves landscapers, than to call themselves gardeners. And it is probably true that if we want a professional opinion -meaning we want advice from someone formally educated in some portion of the horticultural field- we most likely would call on a landscaper rather than an experienced gardener. -And *that* may be a result of a really good spin in advertising :)

An interesting side-thought is that I've read many biographies and autobiographies of well-known folks who have made major contributions in the design of gardens/landscapes; and have noticed that practically all them referred to themselves as being a "gardener", even when their garden comprised many acres...

• lindac
    17 years ago

Most people speak of "landscaping" as shaping their property to include paths and raised beds, trees and stone walls. While a garden is an area where plants grow.
    Linda C

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

LindaC - in our area we call all the permanent stuff (paths, benches, fences, sheds, etc) hardscape - but trees are considered part of the garden where the plants grow - which is usually just called "the garden" unless one is getting really specific and saying 'front lawn', 'side yard', 'rose bed', etc. A raised bed with sides of stone/brick/cement/paver is considered hardscape, but a raised bed that is just soil and mulch a bit higher than the surrounding soil is (like the contents of a raised bed) part of the garden's growing area. Around here, when someone says they are going to landscape or do some landscaping, they usually *do* mean to shape or re-shape their outdoor area/s -- and they also mean that they are either having it done by a "professional" or getting the assistance of a landscaper.

• robjoelowe_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

To me, gardens are areas of plants: the herb garden, the flower garden, the veggie garden, the water garden, the rose garden, the patio garden, etc. They don't have to be by type, any area of plants can be "a garden."

And the landscape is the conglomeration of multiple gardens and any associated hardscape, water features (fountains, streams, ponds), etc. all together.

It's funny, to me I've always condidered trees and shrubs to be a part of the landscape - not part of my gardens... Just realized that while I was typing this up :P

• harmonyfarms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I liked what meldy had to say. I had started thinking about this for exactly the reasons she said. My brother is a golf course architect and does wonderful 'landscape' designs. I've also spoken with several people about ideas for our yard (this one and the last one we had). Most of the 'landscape' types always tell us to 'tear this out or tear that out'. The gardners seem to be more on the 'preserving' side.

Ex.: We have two nice size Cleara that two people had told us should come out. I was talking to someone at our local nursery and she said, "Gosh, don't throw those out. If you want to take them out, you really should move them. They are really nice." I'm glad we've left them in. They still need more pruning to get more in scale with our house but that's ALOT easier than ripping out 10 year old Cleyera and replanting them and/or spending $$$ on new shrubs just because they are a little smaller. KWIM?