Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cone flower wilt?

Posted by alaMel 4a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 22:07

My cone flower heads droop off and on. Is this normal. They are supposedly drought tolerant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cone flower wilt?

Drought tolerant means that they won't die if they get dry; it doesn't mean that they won't show it. I'd guess that yours could use some water.

o

Drought tolerance means that a certain plant requires water less frequently than other species. There are varying degrees of drought tolerance to consider, too.

I consider Echinacea pretty darned tolerant of fairly long periods between rain or watering, but still requiring deep watering when 'it's time'. If your plants are not able to get enough water to keep the stems turgid, then you'll see wilting occur. Water DEEPLY when that happens...no little sips.

o

Seems they take a gallon or two of water every two days. They are taking water like my hydrangia. It just seems strange to me. I flood my garden bed regularly. Two days later it weeps. Should I be using a sprinkler instead for longer periods?

o

Ok so this is definaely not a water issue. I soaked these yesterday morninf, last night it rained most of the night(light sprinkle). Today it has been mild(68), overcast and misting all day. They have gone limp again. Does anyone know of anything else that could cause this??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here