Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Few Questions

Posted by HoosierPagan 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 22:21

Hey everyone! I'm quite new to gardening and have a few questions that I am hoping you guys can answer for me. Firstly, I have read about "pinching" plants to grow bushier. Exactly how do you do that and when is the best time to do this to plants? Secondly, exactly what is moist soil? Is that where you just spray the plant with water in a spray bottle? Or, is it considered moist soil when you give the plant a good soaking and you have water draining through the drain holes? I am really having a hard time figuring some of this stuff out and I think that's why I am not being very successful this year with just about anything I am planting from seed into the ground. For example, I planted a moonflower seed about a month ago. I watered it almost nightly because it's facing the West and the afternoon sun dries out everything on that side quickly. Anyhow, it popped up in about 10 days or so and I continued watering almost nightly. Now it's about 3 or 4 inches tall and it looks mangled. Almost like it has been nibbled on. Would the hot sun do this? Am I watering it too much? I don't do anything else to it at all. Heck I don't even know what type of soil we have here lol. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Few Questions

Could you post a pic of the damage, or "munched" parts? Pinching plants basically means you cut off the ends to a certain degree, so the plant has no where to grow at that point but "out" in the form of new branches, rather than "up", looking spindly. Doing this ... the process, if you would even do it, and the technique behind it all depends on WHAT plant you'd be pruning. What kind of plant is it? Moist soil is when you water the plant, and water comes out through the drain holes, then you leave it alone until when you stick your finger in, it's dry to the first knuckle, then you water it again. Rarely do any plants need watering every day unless as you mentioned with your outdoor plant, it gets hot afternoon sun and the water just evaporates and the ground gets dry... but even then, every day might be a bit much. Remember the soil beneath the surface may still be damp. Just see if you can stick your finger in, or shove a stick in the ground, and dig up a SMALL amount of dirt after one day of no watering... is the dirt dark and damp or is it dry and dusty?
It's easy for a plant to grow "leggy" or more tall with fewer stems than bushy and leafy... but mangled? That sounds like a pest problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here