Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyfarms_gw

Finding potting soil?

harmonyfarms
17 years ago

I'm relatively new to gardening but have done container planting, some "summer sowing" and working on the beds in our yard. Here's my question. I went to the local 'big box' store to get some potting soil. Most of the big bags had fertilizer in it. Since I am planning on doing a lot of winter sowing, I didn't want that. What should I be looking for? I did find a cheap bag (under $5) that actually looks pretty good. Just wondering where and what to look for. Space is a concern, so I don't see me buying in bulk to make my own.

Comments (4)

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

State and Federal regulations are mostly concerned that the 'soil' not contain hazardous elements -- otherwise, it's pretty much a case of whatever the manufacturer puts in, is okay. And if you've read the 'ingredients list' on several different bags, you've discovered they really don't say much! Potting soil seems to be mostly caveat emptor and advertising.

If fertilizer has been added, then reliable companies will give the product's official NPK - and don't forget that most soil has *some* NPK without additives. (OTOH, if a company is constantly testing NPK as part of their manufacturing process, then it is unlikely you will get a bag of either very acidic or very akaline soil.)

You can do a little bit of sorting: both perlite and vermiculite improve the drainage capabilities. Vermiculite can also act as a water retainer while perlite is usually bulkier and helps lighten the soil (literally, it's very fluffy and lightweight). If the bag lists manure as an ingredient, be sure it says "composted manure", no way no how do you want uncomposted/raw manure. If the contents list has peat moss as the primary ingredient, most annuals will do okay, plants that prefer somewhat acidic soil will do well, and peat moss is a non-renewable substance so you have to justify it to your conscience. If the bag just says compost or composted soil, that's all you are getting, and you will likely want to add coarse organic material such as bark along with perlite or vermiculite to improve the draining capability before putting it in the pot.

"Soil" has a multitude of meanings... it's an organic substance; and apparently precisely which items contribute to the actual composition does not have to be specified on the contents label. It is possible to buy very good 'soil' aka 'sludge' (ummm, usually sludge is composted human waste) but check into the source since there have been instances of high metallic count in the finished product and you *don't* want that; you also don't want sludge that isn't certified to be disease-free.

In other words, unless you are a biochemist it is likely that no one other than the manufacturer knows exactly what is in that bag of potting soil. Use your nose: if it doesn't smell good, don't buy it. Potting soil is a convenience, not a magical formula.

Having said all that, I will say that I DO buy potting soil occasionally - a foot of snow over the compost pile tends to discourage me from digging even if it is seed-starting time. My personal guidelines (I don't have a favored manufacturer or brand) are: No bags listed only as "garden soil" because they are usually heavy, wet, with poor ingredients lists, and all too often smell bad - if I'm willing to deal with heavy and wet, I'll go out to my compost pile that has safe ingredients and doesn't smell bad. I prefer a bag that lists compost before peat moss, or preferably doesn't list PM at all (keeps my conscience soothed); I don't care whether it contains perlite or vermiculite because I keep both of those very inexpensive ingredients on hand and can easily add them. In point of fact, I sow all seed in vermiculite regardless of what is in the soil. I can't see paying a premium for a soil moisturizer added to the soil since those bags are usually several dollars more expensive for about a quarter's worth of moisturizer. I won't get it if sludge as one of the ingredients because I find it too aggravating to check out the source. Otherwise, if the soil looks good, feels good, smells good, and the price is right, I'll buy it.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Your own compost is admittedly the best thing you could plant in....but lacking that I would buy a bag of compost an bale of sphagnum and another bag or top soil, mix with a smaller bag of pearlite and call it planting mix...
    Or just buy what you find and don't worry about any fert in the mix.
    As I have said many times, gardening is not rocket science....plant, water and see what happens. Sure, your will kill some plants...but that's part of the fun ...diagnosing the problem.
    Chances are huge that whatever you plant in the bag of soil from the big box will do just fine.
    Linda C

• harmonyfarms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok, so now I'm more confused! Perlite vermiculite, huh? Where do you get this. Maybe I should make my own. Advice?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Go to a different source so that you can find a decent potting mix without all of the additives. You don't need to make your own (though many of us do) to be successful. Linda says that 'admittedly' compost is the best thing to plant in, and I totally disagree with that, lol! (((Linda))) But you can't go wrong with something like ProMix, or Fafard #2, if you can find it.

Become a label reader. If there are additives to your commercial mix, it will say so. Stop by a locally owned garden center. They may be more likely to have ProMix, for example, than the big box stores.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus