Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mint murderer

Posted by ihaveablackthumb 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 22:59

Hello - I know mint is supposed to be a tough plant that's hard to kill, but I keep killing mine and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm growing it in pots because I live in an apartment, but I have a small back patio where I keep the mint so it does get fresh air and sun. I've tried various things with each plant....with one, I kept it in the shade. With another, I gave it as much sun as possible. I've tried giving mint just a little water, and other times giving it water twice a week.

But, every time I try growing mint, it does well for a month or so, and then the leaves turn brown and shrivel up, and the stems turn brown and become hollow. I thought maybe it was something wrong with the soil, so I've tried different potting mixes too, as well as washing the pots out to make sure it wasn't a weird fungus or something.

I really like mint. But I can't grow it for crap. Am I doomed to just getting mint in tea bags??

This post was edited by ihaveablackthumb on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 23:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mint murderer

Not sure what you're doing wrong, but my mint requires full sun and lots of water. Mint will even root quite happily with no extra help in just a glass of water. I'd say make sure your soil drains well, make sure you're watering but not over watering... it should still be soil, not mud. Make sure it has heat. Other than that, I'm not really sure. Maybe fertilize?

o
RE: Mint murderer

I have some mint in a pot that will take watering everyday. Any extra drains out and the porous clay dries out. The leaves don't wilt and beg you for water as other plants might. It's warning is dry and brown, but the good news is that if you have any leaves at all or haven't ignored it too long, you can water it well and keep watering and have a good chance of bringing it back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here