Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane_gw

Star jasmine with roses and lavender?

Diane
18 years ago

I want to plant iceberg roses with lavender along my driveway, but I also want to put in a ground cover to mimic a hedge; it needs to be low in order to allow a car door to open. I was thinking of using star jasmine as I understand it can grow as a ground cover but that it can also be formed into a hedge. My question now is will the lavender look good with the star jasmine and can it grow well together?

Comments (4)

• socks
    18 years ago

Star jasmine can be like a ground cover, but it does have some height. Our plants are usually about 18" high but take clipping to keep them at that height and to keep their long vines from over taking the roses. Except for the need to keep it under control, it is trouble-free. Doesn't take too much water and keeps most weeds down. We have a lot of it.

I'm thinking there must be other ground covers that would be easier to maintain as far as the trimming goes. Also, I'm not sure about a car door being able to open over star jasmine.

If you have it like a little hedge, you'll need to leave a space to go inside the hedge to work on the roses?

Is the area you are planting pretty wide? Remember roses do not like to be crowded by other plants so consider your plants' full-grown sizes when planting. My roses that are crowded have more disease, especially black spot.

Also I'm not sure about the compatability of roses and lavender. I think lavender is a plant that does not like too much water or fertilizing, and roses like a bit more of each.

I guess I've posed more questions here than answered questions, but no one else responded so I thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

Why don't you pose your question over on California Gardening or the Groundcover forum? Especially on CA gardening I think you'd get lots of good suggestions. Don't be shy to post there even tho you think you are new to gardening.

You could also drive around neighborhoods you like to see how others have planted their roses.

Susan

• starry1
    18 years ago

Susan,

Thanks for your information (as well as questions). I did what you said and am now going to plant society garlic and statice with the roses. I still may plant star jasmine (trimmed) or maybe companula or some other ground cover (I will go to the ground cover forum as you suggested for more input on this). Thanks again for your ideas.

• socks
    18 years ago

Soc. garlic is nice (I have some of that too) but does have a bit of an odor, which I don't mind but others might. I like statice too.

Don't forget good local nurseries (not HD) are a resource for suggestions also. When you go, don't just talk to the first employee you see, ask to talk to someone who can help you with some planning suggestions. It would help to have a sketch of your plot with dimensions.

Good luck. You are wise to put in this time planning and asking questions. It will pay off in your results.

Susan

• starry1
    18 years ago

Thanks Susan! Will do.