Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinal_gw

Dying 'Bamboo Plant'

Pinal
18 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I have a bamboo plant which is 4 years old. Some how it seems it has started dying. I think there is some moss infection - I tried changing water everyday. Does any one know what to do in this condition?

Symptoms:

Yellow stalk

Green color moss formation at the bottom of vase

Lots of air bubbles at the top of water

Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Not moss but algae. I would 'guess' that the algae is using up all of the oxygen in the water. The bubbles are the carbon dioxide it produces during respiration.

Plants need oxygen at the roots just as much as they need water. Plant forced to grow in water must be able to access oxygen from the water. Algae can be a real oxygen glutton.

I would thoroughly clean and bleach the vase. Gently clean the dracaena ('bamboo')and give the roots a trim before placing it back into fresh water.

Keep all of the algae out of the water from now on. Using something besides glass would help, and the roots might even be happier in the dark.

• Nurmey
    18 years ago

They are very sensitive to water with chemicals in it. Do you use bottled water or tap water? If you are using city water, that they may have changed the chemicals they are using. I agree you have a algae problem but it might be that the plant's bad health is causing the algae to grow.

p.s. They get big and happy if you grow them in soil!

• tech_pin_yahoo_com
    18 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

• ssuhar_sbcglobal_net
    17 years ago

I took my bamboo plant outside to clean the vase. I left it outside for some time- thinking the fresh air and sun would do it good. However, the following day - after the plant had been brought in- the leaves started to turn yellow. There is no algae in vase - clean water. Plant is about 5 years old. Did I burn my plant when it was outside?? Can I revive this beauty?? Should I cut back all the yellow leaves?

• CGcat2005_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

I have two bamboo plants in the same clear glass vase. They have been together ever since I bought them. About a week ago one of them's leaves has started to turn yellow and is starting to wilt. And the other i startign to show signs of it at the tips. I have tried cleaning the vase and even gently washing their roots alittle bit but it seems to be getting worse. I live in Texas and it could be that it is too hot outside but what do i do? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks so much!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Guess what? You Lucky 'Bamboo' growers now have your very own forum! Have fun, and good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for the Lucky Bamboo Forum

• LadywildCat66_aol_com
    17 years ago

I have two bamboo plants one is older then the other one i have had them in water since i bought then all of a sudden
    i notice one of then's leaves started turning yellow is because it is so hot i live in Louisana and my apt doesn't have a lot of light but i have had the one thats turning yellow for 2 years and have not had a bit of trouble any sugestion

• LadywildCat66_aol_com
    17 years ago

Thank you for the tips

• heditts_hotmail_com
    17 years ago

My wife went on vacation for a month and I really messed her bamboo up-I think I under watered it. What is the best way to revive a bamboo with many dead branches? For some dumb reason I thought I was over watering it. By the way, it's about 5 feet tall. Is there a way to make it bushier/grow new branches??

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
    Fred

• mouseb17
    16 years ago

Hi, so one of my three stalks has turned yellow, but only on one side...the other side of it is green. Also, the leaves on this stalk are VERY green. Is it hopeless, or is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
    Jess

• ramay_57_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i have 3 stalks of bamboo in a clear vase and the tallest one (1.5 ft) has started to turn yellow i have no clue what i have done, the only thing i can think of is that i have it to close to my heater but wouldnt all them turn yellow?? i got it as a gift and i do not want it to die!!! help!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus