Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Difference between a strain, a variety, & a cultivar?

Posted by Kris 8b DFW (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 05 at 1:57

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the difference between these three? I assume a cultivar is just somehting that is growing, that you are 'cultivating'. But I thought strain and variety ment the same thing but on the tomato forum today there was a post that said

"refer to it as OTV Brandywine, not Brandywine (OTV) which indicates a strain, not a variety"

So obviously there is a difference, could someone explain this.

thank you very much
Kris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Difference between a strain, a variety, & a cultivar?

Try these links for a sensible explanation. They say the same thing but in different ways; you might prefer the Houston link because it has more info.

http://www.houstongardening.info/tiplinks.htm

http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/envirohort/factsheets3/general/FEB90PR2.HTML

or to be really, really specific in definition (and I suspect the tomato poster was using parens to indicate nom. illeg.):

http://www.northernontarioflora.ca/definitions.cfm

BTW, although considered an 'heirloom' tomato (I think the seed was originally available in the late 1800's), Brandywine has several distinctly different forms, depending on who is describing it and which seed produced the tomato. You will find it described as yellow or pink or reddish or deep red, and in sizes all the way from 'plum' to 4 or 5 oz.

Here is a link that might be useful: horticultural terminology

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 24, 05 at 9:08

Often, you'll see the words "cultivar" and "variety" used interchangeably, but technically, there is a difference. A variety can be grown from seed, but a cultivar is propagated vegetatively, usually by rooting stem cuttings or dividing and replanting pieces of root taken from the parent plant. Strains are varietal mutations that has been chosen and propagated for an improved or unusual characteristic.

Al

o

• Posted by Kris 8b DFW (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 25, 05 at 1:13

Thank you both, I think its clear in my head now :). It really is quite technical, it took me reading all 3 explanations to finally get it straight. Now I'll even understand the plant labels better.

Thanks so much
Kristi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here