Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junassara

grass cuttings

junassara
16 years ago

ok this might be a dumb question but I gotta ask.....ok you mow your lawn and grass cuttings from mowing go into your garden.....will grass start to grow from that....It is a debate here on my block....any info would be appreciated!!!

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Grass won't grow from clippings, but if there are any seed heads or stolons (like in bermuda grass or other warm season grasses), then new plants can be propagated. Grasses cannot be propagated just from blade clippings.

• dirtdiva
    16 years ago

I have used grass clippings to mulch around perennials and newly planted beds. It helps to keep moisture in the soil around the plants and when it breaks down the plant benefits from the nutrients. Make sure you are using nice grass clippings....not weed clippings!! To answer your question, no. If you feel uncomfortable with it, just use it on a small area for awhile and you will get the idea. Happy gardening!!

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

Lasagna gardeners adore grass clippings, even the ones with weeds. By putting them in layers [an inch or two of clippings, a couple sheets of newspaper, an inch or two of brown such as shredded leaves, a sprinkle of bloodmeal or alfalfa pellets, another layer of newspaper, and repeat); and then keeping the pile slightly but evenly moist, you can make a wonderful garden soil in a fairly short time.

Your flowers will like the clippings if you put a couple layers of newspaper on the soil, then a few inches of the clippings, and then top off with an inch or two of organic mulch such as shredded leaves or bark. This will all decompose and nourish your plants.

If grass sprouts up where the clippings are put then a) there are seeds in the clippings and b) the seeds are in contact with soil and light and think it's a good place to sprout. Make a barrier between the clippings and the soil as well as between the clippings and the sunlight. Newspaper or thin cardboard makes an excellent bottom barrier and mulch is your best top.

The only time I have ever had mowings sprout was when they were spread too thinly on the soil and without a newspaper bottom, so if you have plenty you *can* use it without a top mulch. I put mowings eight to ten inches deep between the bean rows and it lasts until late winter.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH