Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahfwtx

Bought some bulbs. Now what?

SarahFWTX
18 years ago

I bought a big box of daffodil bulbs at Sam's last week on impulse. I checked the bulb forum to get some advice. But now I'm even more confused.

1. How do I store them? I saw one post that recommended putting them in the refrigerator crisper.

2. When should I plant them? Since I'm in North Texas I imagined it would be the end of October, first part of November.

3. When I plant, do I need to add fertilizer or some kind of root stimulant?

Many thanks!

Comments (7)

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

If you have a very cool place such as a basement or cellar, the daffies should be fine. Refrigeration is used when the planting zone is actually too warm for proper stratification, or to delay development or sprouting. Look on the label to see if the producer has had them under refrigeration - if it doesn't say, they weren't.

You don't have to wait until fall to plant, the bulbs can go into a prepared bed now. The worst that will happen is that they will sprout some leaves... and you might want to put a fluffy mulch over those leaves after frost, although if you don't mulch and it does freeze hard, those leaves will die back --- and the bulb will try again next spring. Most daffies are very determined to bloom in the spring, thus they send up someleaves to check the weather, before sending up the blooming stem.

If you wish to add bulb food to their planting area, they will really like it, although you can wait until spring to spread it. Very, very important is that their soil have good drainage... they will struggle in clayey soil and thrive in sandy soil. If the soil *is* clay, put a couple inches of crushed oyster shells or coarse sand under the bulbs when planted. That will provide drainage for several years, and you will probably have to lift and divide the bulbs just about the same time the shells or sand need replenishing.

Read the link for general info, and enjoy the daffies!

Here is a link that might be useful: daffy info

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

I'd advise that you wait for cool temperatures to arrive before planting them. They are likely to turn their energy into making producing leaves instead of roots, which the cold temperatures encourage. Storing the bulbs in the fridge won't hurt them, until you are ready to plant. As Meldy says, check the label to see if they have been prechilled, but again...it won't hurt to store them cold and dry. Paper bag or onion bag....only don't store them in the same compartment as you do your fruit and veggies.

Bulb planting season varies from location to location. Planting well into the cold temperatures will insure that your bulbs can develop a root system before bursting into growth when Spring comes.

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

If you plant them now, deep enough, in a well-drained position then they can start making root growth. Most jonquils are producing roots in late summer even if they don't appear above ground for months to come.

I don't know how deeply your ground freezes. There was a posting on the Bulbs site from someone further north who had lost daffodils to a sharp frost freezing them below ground. If you know you get deep frost and frost heave - plant deeply and add a thick layer of mulch.

And if you have foraging dogs or rodents do not sprinkle any fertiliser containing blood or bone. Both sets of animals like to snack on it and dig around for more. Usually OK if you mix it through your soil.

• mossglse_sbcglobal_net
    18 years ago

I would wait until cooler weather to plant daffodils in the North Texas area, mid-October to mid-November, even later if you want to wait. The label should have a planting depth chart for you, about five inches?. They may still produce leaves before Spring, but that is okay.

Best wishes

• Tiffany_Rose
    18 years ago

I wouldn't plant the bulbs until it is consistently cooler in your area. the recommendation is to store them at around 75 degrees until you're ready to plant them (though room temperature really is fine). You can also grab a handful and put them in the crisper- if you take them out around the first week of December, you can force a lot of varieties to grow and bloom indoors.

• Chris_MI
    18 years ago

besides the above advice, make a simple drawing of your yard and where you put the bulbs. that way you can see where you want more bulbs next fall and are prepared to fill in the empty spaces, and not dig up your current bulbs.

• SarahFWTX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. Y'all are great!