Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vpost02176

Will roses propagate via root runners

vpost02176
18 years ago

I have what I think is a rose. Unfortunately, whatever it is is a bit of a thug in that all around the main bush are a zillion smaller versions that look like they pop up from root runners coming off the main plant. I have gone in nearly every other week to pull out the babies, but they still keep coming back. Will roses propagate this way, and if so, how can I stop this behavior?

Pictures (4) start here: http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=14708293208&photoid=27417393208&&refreshkey=1125406572152

Comments (6)

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

Thanks for the good pix!

The answer is "maybe;" in this case, the answer is probably yes. Many roses are grafted onto a sturdier or hardier or drawfing base. If the plant was originally a hybrid and either the 'good' rose died back or soil covered the graft, it is quite possible that the base/rooting stock took over. It is also possible that you have one of the more enthusiastic roses (often heirloom types or "wild") which is/was not grafted, but is simply very energetic in spreading. Propogation of a non-hybrid which spreads as you describe, can be done by spading a circle of soil around the new sprout to capture both sprout and root, which can then be potted or transplanted. You can curb its thuggish tendencies by enclosing the roots with a deep barrier such as a 12" pound-in edging, but keep in mind that Nature meant for many of the wilder roses to grow as multi-stemmed shrubs and that sort of growth can take up quite a lot of area. You might post on the Rose forum and see if anyone recognizes the blossom and could tell you more about your specific rose.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

The blossom looks like the one of the shrub roses so popular today, and is probably the Nearly Wild you have labeled. However, that first image doesn't really look like the plant I know of as Nearly Wild rose.

Nearly Wild is used quite a bit here on the campus of UAH. I've not observed any suckering or seeding at all. Seems to be very well behaved.lk Perhaps others have different experiences with it.

That first picture looked like a barberry when I first opened up the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1060813}}

• lindac
    18 years ago

It looks to me like "completely wild"...
    There is a wild rose that grows in ditches.....and in my back yard....that spreads by runners and one of the reasons it thrives is because the more you spread around the root parts the better it grows.
    Herbicide kills it....which is why the State Flower of Iowa is becoming scarce.
    Linda C

• vpost02176
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info. The first link was indeed a barberry. This was one of those instances in my garden where I had one thing growing up on top of another...in this case, the rose was growing up right through the center of the barberry. I cut down the barberry as best I could (I hate them as they're so thorny) and am left with just the rose now.

I don't really want to put the 12" edging in since the rose is spreading sideways into the rest of the perennial bed...I think it would look strange to have edging between two portions of the bed instead of between the bed and the lawn. (Unless I'm misunderstanding your suggestion.)

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

The 12" edging is usually used when working on a slope, making raised beds, or if the soil is mostly sand.

If edging is used as a root barrier, most of it should be buried. Try to figure out how deep the suckers are (1"? 3"? 6"?) below ground level, and use edge that is a couple inches deeper and an inch higher than ground level. i.e. if most suckers are about 3" down, then use 6" edging buried until only an inch shows above ground level. I think Gardeners Supply (among many others) has a choice of heights for pound-in type. I recently read where one gentleman used 'flashing' which is sold by the foot for roofing purposes. He thought it was cheaper and sturdier than the stuff sold as 'edging' - I haven't compared, but it could be so. However, if you use a cut-metal, be sure the top edge is rolled or bent over to prevent possible cuts.

• Tiffany_Rose
    18 years ago

If I don't want something to spread via roots, I bury it in a large plastic planter (like the type you would put inside a fancy planter indoors). It has drainage, and the roots can go down as long as you enlarge the holes.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH