Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenia tree has ants

Posted by canoebunny 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 10:04

My gardenia tree has ants. Is this a good thing?
How can I bring it indoors over winter and eliminate these critters?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenia tree has ants

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 15:32

If it has ants, it's a near sure bet it has other pests - aphids, scale, or mealies.

Most ants are easy to eliminate. Just buy some of the syrupy ant baits & place nearby (away from kids/pets). The ants will carry the bait back to hill/nest & eliminate the colony. I would look very carefully at the plant to see if there are other pests. Once you determine what they are, you can formulate a plan of remedial action or come here and/or to the pest forum for advice.

Al

o

I agree with Tapla about the ant baits. Just make sure that you purchase a product that says BAIT on the packaging and that you read the label carefully and follow the directions exactly. Many people who use one of these baits for the first time are horrified at the initial ant activity the bait causes. Their reaction is to start killing ants! In actuality, ants will surge the bait tray, taking the substance to the nest, where in a short period of time, all members will be in ant heaven. You should not disturb the bait tray until all ant activity has been still for at least 24 hours.

o

The ants are most likely attracted by honeydew secreted by aphids which are feeding on your gardenia. An insecticidal soap spray will deal with the aphids.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here