Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Relocating part of flower garden

Posted by sdchampion 5 Illinois (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 05 at 11:06

I have a long (70 foot) flower garden I would like to relocate. I would like to take half of it and create a corner triangle garden out if it. My question is...do I absolutely have to dig up the sod or is there a way to plant without doing this? Can I kill the grass by laying weed cover below the mulch? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Relocating part of flower garden

you absolutely do not need to take up sod. A much easier method is to smother it with material that rots. A common technique and one that I have used is to take cardboard and/or newspaper and put it over the area you wish to convert to a bed. If you use newspaper then use 5-6 sheets, cardboard can be single layer. Make sure to have several inches of overlap.

On top of this spread topsoil if you wish to raise the level of the bed or compost if you don't (compost will break down to nearly nothing in a couple/few years).

Plant directly into the topsoil/compost. The grass will die within a few weeks and the paper/cardboard will decompose enough for the plant roots to work through.

A variation on this is called 'lasagna beds'. Do a site search on that for more info.

o
RE: Relocating part of flower garden

In addition to the proposal provided: if your present grass cover is something with invasive runners or persistent perennial weeds it would pay to remove these before putting anything perennial above it.

If the ground is heavily compacted it might pay to break the surface perhaps by plunging a heavy spading fork into the turf.

If the new bed is going to be higher than the original, consider both the effects of water run-off, and getting to the back of the deeper bed. Stepping stones or spaces for laying work boards. Otherwise you'll compact your soil and give yourself extra work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here