Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemon_poppy_gw

A newbie with a lot of questions!

Lemon_Poppy
18 years ago

I've been reading GW since early this summer and have learned quite a bit. My husband and I expanded an exsisting flowerbed, amended the soil and planted over 30 different perennials. Most of them have done quite well, though the bed still looks pretty sparse I think it will be lovely when it matures a bit. A few haven't done so well, but I've decided this is my learning curve and I'll swap them out and replace them with other plants.

Now I'm coming to the end of blooming season for some of them and I'm not sure what to do. Some are looking pretty awful and some are ok but I still have a few questions.

I thought I'd come here and ask for some advice. So here goes:

Rudbeckia Goldstrum: When the bloom fades do I cut it back? How much? Do they reseed themselves from the centers??

Echinacea Magnus and Ruby Star: Same question as above.

Cranesbill Johnson Blue: Had the most gorgeous blue flowers but appears to be "done" now? What do I do to it?

Pervoskia Little Spire (Russian Sage): It's doing real well but looks a little leggy and sparse. Should I cut it back some to help it bush out?

Bee Balm Panorama Red Shades: This one is taking a bit of a beating from the hot sun. I have 3, one bloomed, the other two didn't. Should I cut them back now?

Heliopsis Sommersonne: Same questions as the Rudbeckia and Echinacea.

Gray Santolina Cotton Lavendar: Doesn't look very bushy, more straggly. Hasn't flowered yet.

Penstemon Lilliput Rose: Seems to be having a hard time. No blooms on it now and some of the foliage is crispy. Should I cut it back? How much? Such a pretty plant.

Phlox (Davids White, Starfire and Laura) The David has bloomed and I'm not sure...do I cut it back? The Laura just bloomed and is beautiful, so same question after the blooms dies off, do I cut it back? The Starfire has done nothing though it looks healthy.

Nepeta Walkers Low: Looks great (except the one my daughter ran over with her car! but it's trying to come back!) When should I cut it back and by how much?

Platycodon Fairy Snow: Doing real well. Do I cut it back when it's done or wait till spring?

Boltonia Nana: This plant is doing fantastic though the flowers are a very pale pink almost white. What do I do with it once it has stopped blooming?

Stokesia Purple Parasols: Also doing great. What should I do when it stops blooming for the season?

Obediant Plant Crown of Snow: Once I got the hang of how much water it needed this plant has done splendid. How do I cut it back when it is done flowering?

Buddleia Nanho Blue: This bush has gotten huge. It's gorgeous. I believe I leave this one alone until spring correct?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• Judy_B_ON
    18 years ago

With all of them, you can remove spent flowers and trim back straggly bits to improve appearance. In the first year you don't want to trim too much green matter as it is the food factory for the plant. Removing spent flowers promply, before the seed matures, helps the plant spent energy on growing roots instead of seeds; establishing good roots is important for continued health.

If you want the plants to seed around, let them set seed, if you don't want lots of new seedlings, don't let them set seed. The Rudbeckia tend to be bienniel, so if you want some next year, let a few seeds form. It, the Echinacea, the phlox and the beebalm are prolific self seeders and can take over your bed if you don't control them.

Buddleia will die back to the ground over winter. You can cut it down in late fall or not, depends on how "tidy" you like the winter garden.

Some of the plants are aggressive spreaders and you will need to divide them to maintain in bounds. Sign out perennial care books from your local library. When you find one that you like, with lots of useful info, buy a copy. Below, find a link to newsletters about perennials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Perennial Newsletters

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

The Santolina: usually it's kept for the foliage not the flowers. The silvery mound against which other plants can 'show off'. Over the growing season trim it back like a hedge plant to give it shape and encourage it to produce new foliage. It will come away from the bottom and old wood but it can be a bit sensitive to frost. Be sure to snuggle up for winter.

Geranium John's Blue: it is deciduous. Once the leaves have gone red and fallen away it becomes a polite little set of red-tipped buds for waiting out the winter. Another to give frost protection to in case you get frost heave that pushes it out of the ground. New sprouts in April-May? When it warms up, anyway.

Platycodon: has yellow autumn foliage if nothing weather-drastic happens, then it dies away to a pale greyish brown lump until later in spring. Also frost-protect this growing crown with whatever is recommended for your zone.

Before they vanish for the year - DO put in labels so you can 'watch the spot' and not put a spade through when the spring planting mania strikes.

• meldy_nva
    18 years ago

Since you are in Ohio rather than Canada, you may find the buddleia does not go completely dormant, much less die back. The common practice is to cut it back in late January or early February (in my zone 6, I prune when a long cold-spell is predicted), usually to a height of 12 to 18". It will re-sprout prolifically when the weather warms up.

• Lemon_Poppy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the responses to my many questions! I did go out and cut back/deadhead as suggested and things do look a lot more tidy.

Went this weekend and purchased 10 hardy mums...so many colors to choose from! Any advice on how to maintain these? :)

• firethorn
    18 years ago

The rudbeckia and coneflowers I would wait to prune down until they have died back for the year. The seeds attract finches. You could also get free plants! But, it's more of a preference thing.

I would also leave the phlox be, just because of the way they grow on one central stalk, better not to risk anything.

But if you don't like the way they look, hack away. I doubt that you'll do anything bad.

Good luck with the mums, it's almost impossible to get them to overwinter here!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County