Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making a compost pile

Posted by ktd125 z6 WPA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 05 at 11:37

Hi all! Newbie here. We recently bought a new house and I'm looking for advice on making a compost pile. I need the basics and I can't seem to find anything on the site. Any one have some interesting advice? I'm looking for the basics...sun/shade?...chicken wire/fence?...that kinda thing. ANY info would be a great help! Thanks in advance! ~kristine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making a compost pile

You could start by checking the Soil, Compost and Mulch Forum here on Gardenweb. There is a FAQ link at the top of the page on that forum that you might find helpful.

o

I just pile up garden and kitchen waste way down in back behind a bush....
I have 2 pile going at all times....the pile I am putting stuff into this year....and the pile I put stuff into last year and and now am putting on my gardens.
Sure you can do fancy stuff....but one of the main reasons for a compost pile is enviornmental....why burn and pollute the atmosphere and why fill the land fill? Just pile it up and put it back into the gardens.
Linda C

o

sun/shade doesn't matter. You don't need any kind of bin either, but you might want one to keep things neat looking.

Just toss any organic material into a pile and leave be. If you wish to speed the composting process up then keep the pile moist and turn it over every couple weeks. Warmer temps produce compost faster than colder temps.

One can get very technical about making compost if they wish, but the only reason to do so is if one wishes to turn out a finished compost pile as rapidly as is possible. I personally can't be bothered, too much other stuff to do in the garden.

o

I posted this on Frugal Gardening, to show how easily & cheaply (free) compost can be made.

Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Compost from Thrown-Away Materials

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here