Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wet ground

Posted by
valerie
(valeriein@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Aug 18, 05 at 11:53

My ground is too wet to plant anything. It literally looks like a swamp outside. How can I go about fixing this problem so I can attempt to do something nice with my lawn?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wet ground

hmm- that's several big questions.

one is -why is it wet? or 'where does the water come from?'

the answer can range from a leaking septic system to a high water table, to a clay layer that's creating a small 'wetlands' in your back yard...and those are just the answers off the top of my head.

do you have a basement? if so, is it damp as well?

is this a new problem? are you new to the house? area?

honestly, if it's not something human caused (leaking water pipes, septic issues, runoff from your neighbor's sprinklers) the 'best' solution very often is to create a bog/wetland or even a pond at the furthest corner of the wet area, and channel the water there, where it can be water, and not get in your way.

o

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 18, 05 at 13:09

And maybe poor roof drainage system..,..or even just an abnormal amount of rain in the area.
Number one problem....where is the water coming from...
Number 2 question....what can you do so it doesn't cause a problem.
Linda C

o

number three is to find out if your locale's legal requirements will affect you. One poster (from Mass.) has had quite a bit to say on the subject, and indicated a considerable control by the local authorities over possible re-direction of water and changing of wet areas (apparently they were mostly against it).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here