Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbee

Posted by donnafaga (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 11:53

i am a newbee could anyone adopt me please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbee

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 12:12

Sure.....what you need?
Momma Linda

o

mommalinda, not sure how this works

o

How being a new gardener works? Typical course is first year you spend tons of money on new plants many of which are inappropriate for your climate then proceed to plant them in the wrong places for their light/soil requirements. Most of it dies at which point you decide you either have to get more info or switch to gravel for landscaping. Sounding familiar to anyone yet?

o

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 13:52

Start by digging up some ground....pulling out all weeds and adding lots of compost.....you probably will have to buy bagged compost.
Then come back and we'll tell you what to do next.
Linda C

o

Donna, did you intend to post on the Plant Exchange Forum?

There's an "Adoptathon" going on over there where experienced gardeners adopt new ones & send them plants.

o

Dana DW-
LOL I totally relate to that! That's exactly the way it was (and basically still is) with me! Although I'd say I have advanced from "to be owned by me is certain death for plants" to "most of my plants die; but some rock hard toughies make it by an inch"....
But anyway, Newbee, I won't give you any [awful] technical advice since I'm a greenhorn myself, but I can testify this about gardening: Never give up, never stop learning, and always have a sense of humor. You'll get back as much as you give your plants.

o

If you have not made a planting bed yet, try a sheet compost/lasagna method. You'll save a lot of elbow grease and will end up with a beautifull loamy soil for your plants.

Check out the Soil, Mulch, Compost forum for interesting and easy methods of tending your soil.

And welcome to the brown thumb club. :-D

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil preparation for a newbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here