Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good worms, bad worms?

Posted by kaumann Z6 Penna. (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 12:22

As a new gardener I was feeling good about seeing lots of worms in my compost and gardens since when I was first gardening here they were very few and far between.
A gardner friend then told me,"Oh,those are Asian worms. They are invasive and not beneficial. They don't work in the soil but live in the duff."
Whaaaat?
I did notice that some of my worms are skinny and more frisky than the slow fat ones I remember. Also, I like to screen my compost. How do I do that when it's filled with worms?
Can anyone enlighten me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good worms, bad worms?

Your friend was pulling your leg.
Don't screen your compost? Why do you want to do that? If it has large pieces of stuff....give it another few months.
Linda C

o

'Red Wrigglers' the common fishing worm, are not a native species and do, indeed, live in the upper most layer of native soils. This would be the organic layer. These are the worms of worm farms and compost piles. They've been accused of changing (to the negative) the ecosystem of native forests. They are native to Europe, however, not Asia.

o

All earthworms are beneficial to the soil. Unfortunately some introduced species are a bit too efficient in their activities and too prolific in their populations and create imbalances in the organic matter of some Northeastern native forests and woodlands, to their detriment.

But in the home garden, all worms are beneficial and indicate a healthy amount of organic matter in the soil. I can contemplate all sorts of good reasons to screen compost and there is really no reason the presence of worms should deter you. The small ones will fall through the screening and larger ones can be tossed back into the pile or relocated to planting beds. It's all good :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: earthworms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here