Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Petunia has holes all over it

Posted by house_beautiful 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 12:53

Hello!
I have some petunias bought from HD planted in pots. Recently I saw there are lot of holes on the flowers and leaves. I could see a tiny little thing feeding on my flowers (see attached photo) Is this a slug? What can I do to save my petunias?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Petunia has holes all over it

Those are caterpillars.

Could be this one.

Or an attractive butterfly. (Under "attracts.")

Compare to your critters, which will change as they age.

o

Thanks for the response! What would be the best way to handle this?

o

If it were me, I would look at pictures to try to decide which they are, then decide if the critters that will become of the caterpillars are worth sacrificing my flowers for. If they're going to get a lot bigger, they could eat the whole plant and run out of food. (In which case I might pick some off but leave a couple.) If they're almost full-size, the damage is about over. If they're just some kind of moth, I'd pick them off and throw them into the lawn for the birds to eat. Up to you though, it's your plant.

o

I know this is late but I'm adding this for future readers. Those are moth caterpillars. They can devour a large amount of petunias and FAST. They are a huge problem for petunias in some areas. They also can get into other plants. They devoured my knockout roses too.
You will need to treat the petunias with BT. It is relatively cheap and will only kill caterpillars. They eat the leaves that are covered with the BT and then they become paralyzed. You will need to treat several times. I do it once a month now as preventative-more often while trying to get rid of them. If I don't they come back. The smaller the caterpillar the easier it is to kill. The larger older ones are harder to kill. They run in cycles, they eat and then drop into the mulch and turn into moths. The moths come back and lay their eggs in the plants. This happens several cycles a season. Sorry I dont know the technical words. What I do know is that a few of them QUICKLY will become MANY. Also, they will be back every year until you get them under control. Good luck. These things have been a major pain in my butt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here