Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilyam_gw

Last year's successes not happy this year.

emilyam
15 years ago

Ugh, I don't know what I'm doing!

Last year I planted just one (set of two) tomatillo plant, a few basil plants, some chives, some lemon balm. Besides a Yellow Nutsedge infestation (I did not realize it was a weed at first since it looked like a real plant) I did not have troubles. The tomatillos fruited like crazy and grew to some 4' wide. The basil was happy. Everything was great.

This year I do not know what happened.

I kept the yellow nutsedge under control from the beginning. I am now only seeing 1 little one every week or so.

I got basil seedlings early, around late April.

The problem is they are STILL seedlings! It has been 4 months and the biggest one is about 3" tall. I thinned them, but it didn't help. Most only have 6 or 8 leaves.

And I planted boughten tomatillos (2 sets of 2 plants ea) around May. (Same time as last year.) I have gotten 1 fruit off them. The only pruning I have done is finger-pinching the sprouts that form between leaf stem and main stalk. Finally, a week ago, they set flowers. No husks have formed yet. The plants look healthy colorwise, no obvious diseases or infestations, but they are not fat and lush like last year.

Here is what is in the bed:

3 small rosebushes (came with the house, were there last year)

16 months old

1 strawberry plant planted last year, via runners now 2x2' of strawberry plants. Apparently spending all energy on spreading, not fruiting.

1 lemon balm grew HUGE 3x3', pruned judiciously

1 chives, doing well.

3-4 months old

2 tomatillo sets, caged, not really producing

1 chocolate mint, VERY happy, spreading all over the place.

2 plants I can't remember the name of, sort of coleus like

1 purple bell pepper, small but has produced 3 4" peppers, flowering again

1 chile pepper plant, yellowish green, alive but not bigger than when planted

a dozen basil seedlings, staying tiny, but good color

1 italian parsley, good color, keeps going to seed

1 tomato plant, caged and not doing much

1.5 months old

3 various types of chile peppers

1 tomato plant, caged, doing nothing really

2 non-food plants I know little about.

The beds are on the south side of my house, they get lots of sun, they are watered every other day in the middle of the night by the auto sprinklers.

The part I just do not understand is that last year in the exact same spot, I had happy tomatillos and this year they are not happy! They were fruiting like mad by now. I did not do anything different, besides add more plants at the other end of the bed.

So do I have some obvious plant incompatibilities here? Am I doing something really obviously dumb? I am clueless. And hungry for tomatillos.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations