Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grass

Posted by
pam ky
(midclass1@adelphia.net) on
Thu, Aug 17, 06 at 13:28

my problem is i can't grow grass on the septic tank. i believe it is not deep enough. i don't want to dig it up and and lower it due to the expense. i have planted seed in the spring, fall and finally resulted to laying sod on top, but to no avail. can anyone recommend a type of grass that will grow or have any solution to my problem the area is no more than 8X5 square

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grass

How deep is it to the top of the tank? In most cases, you can add topsoil over the tank but not over the drainfield (leachbed.) Call your local health department or the company that installed the tank and find out what the regulations are. All grass needs a decent root zone to maintain itself during the dry times of year. And sprinkler systems are not recommended over the septic areas.

Another option to consider is to make something there besides lawn. A paved patio is acceptable as long as the pavers can be removed for access to the tank.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here