Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheppy1_gw

Please Help Identify This Herb!!!

sheppy1
18 years ago

I am new to gardening and have recently moved into a new house. I am having trouble identifying this herb. If anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to four pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/FireEater4065/herbs/100_2134.html#

Thanks,

Sheppy1

Comments (12)

• username_5
    18 years ago

I am stumped. I was going to say flat leafed parsley, but then I took a look at mine and the leaves are too different.

• imadabbla
    18 years ago

Are you sure it's an herb? It kind of looks like a chrysanthemum to me. You should have a better idea soon when those blooms open.

• Patriz
    18 years ago

Looks like Artemisia, which ia an herb :)

• phyllis__mn
    18 years ago

I agree that it is a chrysanthemum. I just went out to check mine, and it seems to be identical.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    18 years ago

It's definitely some form of chrysanthemum, possibly just a plain old garden mum, but I think it looks more like 'Sheffield Hillside Pink' or 'Clara Curtis' (sometimes called chrysanthemum, sometimes dendranthema). I have Sheffield and the foliage is identical. Here's a picture (in French!) that shows a little bit of the foliage near the flowers. They're both singles, and Clara is light pink and Sheffield is a light salmon pink--wait till the buds open to see if it's either of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Clara Curtis'

• MargotJ
    18 years ago

When you rub the leaves what is the scent?

• sheppy1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone thanks for the replies. When I rub the leaves it almost reminds me of Vics Vapour Rub....My wife seconded that scent. I have not found any pictures so far of a chrysanthemum that I can say for sure that that is what it is!

Sheppy1

• username_5
    18 years ago

well there is an herb forum as well as a name that plant forum where you could post the pics to if you don't get an ID you are certain of here.

18 years ago

I found a better picture of 'Clara Curtis' foliage. How about this? 'Sheffield' is virtually identical--but I can't find many pictures of it.

When it blooms and you decide for sure what it is, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Clara Curtis' foliage

• sheppy1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the picture Skybird. (Chrysanthemum 'Clara Curtis') I think that is the likely culprit. We will see if it blooms! We were at the grocery store today and the chrysanthemum's had the same smell but the leaves were a little different.
    Any idea what you can use dehydrated chrysanthemum for? Since I thought it was an herb I only have one plant left.

18 years ago

Hi Sheppy1,

I was curious if Chrysanthemums were actually herbs or not, so I googled it and came up with this site which I thought was pretty interesting. If you want to see some of the other sites that came up, google "medicinal uses for chrysanthemums."

After I read your post last night, I was out in the dark picking and squashing leaves, and since I know what a mum smells like, it was kind of hard to get past that, but I can kinda see where you're getting Vics from! :-)

Let us know if it's a single and which color it is when it blooms.

Enjoy,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Chrysanthemum information

• MargotJ
    18 years ago

It may well be that there is a product found in Chyrsanthemum leaves that is used in Vicks. And it may not be in the current product since forumlas for such products change over time. Also, different countries may have slight differences in the ingredients of products with the same name. If you can't smell the scent in a current product and think you are going mad, the explanation could be that you are recognizing the scent from a childhood memory.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!