Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
little black bugs and spots on petunias

Posted by rgwhis z7 OR (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 05 at 14:11

How do I get rid of these little black spots and bugs on my petunia plants. They are all over on stems and leaves. Turns my plants brown.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: little black bugs and spots on petunias

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 15, 05 at 21:43

You don't give much to go on. Just a guess: bugs = aphids, black spots = sooty mold or other fungal pathogen

I've never used this on 'tunias, but I've used it on lots of other plants - try it on one stem first: 50:50 mix of 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol:water with about 6 drops of dishsoap per quart. Soak leaves and stems, paying particular attention to undersides. This remedy has no residual effects, so you'll need to remain vigilant and treat at least once/week. If I was you, I would obtain some cold pressed neem oil and add it to the mix. Neem works slowly (takes 1-2 weeks to see full benefit of results), but is wonderful as an anti-feedant and a sterilizer (inhibits the metamorphic cycle) and is extremely safe.

Al

o

Hi!
I too had the same problem. I did a pretty intensive search on GW and this is what I came up with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caterpillar dung

o

Hi!
I have the same problem with my petunias. Here's what I my research lead me to...the answer!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station

o
RE: little black bugs and spots on petunias - new posting

Although my earlier reply may be what you're experiencing, following more research, I think what you have are bud worms. In the link below, scroll down to the section that reads, "Let's start with the Tobacco/Geranium/Petunia bud worm" for more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weidners

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here