Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sresutek

What parts of the country have ideal gardening conditions?

sresutek
16 years ago

Hi all!

I'm writing mainly to the "experts" that advise newbies on this site...

My husband will be finishing his Phd & looking for a job in the next year (professor - accounting). We have several schools/areas in mind, and I've asked the various message boards about gardening there, but every area has problems! I know there's no "perfect" gardening location, but have you gardened anywhere (or know of someplace) where the soil is good, pests minimal, conditions not harsh, etc?

Southern CA comes to mind - the area where they have all the farms (south of LA). I think of the South, too, like Charleston or Mississippi, with lots of trees/flowers.... I DON'T want ideal conditions for desert plants! Just someplace where the soil isn't typically poor/heavy clay, droughts common, jap beetles, etc. Any ideas?

I appreciate any insight you have, even though the locations won't be perfect - if they are close, I'd love to know about it!! ;))

Thank you!

Sarah

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

You're right in thinking that everywhere will have some sort of drawbacks. Climatic changes are creating challenges for gardeners internationally. I garden in both SoCal (periodically) and the PNW (primarily) and think both are pretty amazing gardening climates. Southern California does have the benefit of a pretty beatific climate, especially coastal areas, but is also experiencing an extended drought. Also, frost free gardening zones do limit some of the more familiar plants that require winter dormancy but expand on those that require very mild climates.

The Pacific Northwest is often considered an virtually ideal gardening climate because of its mild maritime influence - never too hot, seldom very cold, usually adequate rainfall (although summers can be dry), low humidity - except in winter :-). It also experiences distinct seasonal changes that SoCal does not. A huge number of large commercial growers and many, many excellent retail and specialty nurseries are located in this area and the plant palette is enormous - pretty much any non-tropical plant will grow here happily. No Japanese beetles here (yet) and most insect/pest problems are tolerable and require no special treatment. Winters can be long, uniformly gray and damp, but snowfall is rare and hard freezes very infrequent and when spring hits, it is spectacular. Personally, I'd not seriously consider gardening permanently elsewhere.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Gardengal, do you have a spare room? ;-)

Sarah, I lived in the Charleston area for many years, and though I loved the location very much, it is not ideal for gardening. It's very hot and humid day and night for several months, which limits the plant palette quite a bit. Insect pests can be a problem year round, which can really get to be tiresome. Oh, then there's those pesky hurricanes, lol! And do you know what sand gnats are?

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

I keep thinking about those banana slugs ... There is just something about facing a west coast nine-inch slug which keeps me happy on the Atlantic Coast. Like gardengal says, *every* area has it's drawbacks!

• jeanr
    16 years ago

central virginia:

good: moderate temperatures, 4 distinct seasons (usually), ground does not freeze til first of the year, mostly sunny days, can grow a WIDE range of plants.

negative: jap. beetles, sandy soil (drains too fast), wire grass (in my yard - not all over), drought in july and august, very humid in summer.

i doubt that i have covered all the major points but this is what came to mind. i have come to the conclusion that there is no perfect place to garden.
    one suggestion that i would make to you: if you have a strong obession with a particular group of plants, avoid places where they will not survive.

good luck!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Like our reputation for wet weather, the reports of PNW slug problems are pretty much overblown as well :-) Mind you, I've seen some whoppers in the slug department around here and if not accustomed to seeing such large examples, it can be rather off-putting to personally witness a slug the size of a small rodent (OK - I exaggerate!!). But believe it or not, I don't even bait in my garden and really do not have much of a slug problem at all. There are a few nibbled leaves on the occasional hosta and I'd certainly consider protecting any little seedlings planted out, but that's about it. But perhaps it's because there is such a smorgasbord available to them that I really don't see significant damage on anything.

Rhizo - I do have a guest room and you'd be welcome anytime, but be aware that you'd be put to work in exchange for room and board!! LOL!

• nandina
    16 years ago

The U. of South Carolina in on top of the list of business schools with satellite schools around the state. Strongly suggest that you check out the area in SC just over the border from Augusta, GA. This would encompass Aiken, Columbia and Spartanbug areas. These communities and their surrounds are booming with foreign investment. The two problems are fire ants which can be controlled and very hot July/August. However, world famous nurseries in these areas specialize in plants which survive the heat. Minimal plant disease. No Japanese beetles or other grub problems. My area has no poison ivy! Great winter gardening with enough cold to grow spring bulbs and hostas. With a bit of house hunting one can find soils which are a blend of clay and sand; perfect for growing. One is able to grow Rhododendrons and roses that rival those of the PNW in Spartanburg. Moving a bit south of there will find the best of some of the deep south favorites such Camellias and favored perennials growing in a more favorable climate with no sand gnats, minimal mosquitoes. Nice ecosystem. Check it out.

• eiskyjente
    16 years ago

I must second gardengal's enthusiasm for the Pacific Northwest! Truly a paradise for growing many, many types of plants, and the climate is so moderate which allows for a lot of diversity in planning your garden.

Unfortunately, I am now living in Finland - which is comparable to Zones 3-4, and am practically having to learn how to garden all over again, LOL! Before moving here with my Finnish husband (the things we do for love!), I spent the last four years happily living and gardening in SW Washington State, and it was absolutely marvelous.

I had little trouble with both insect and animal pests, nor did the climate and weather ever pose much of a problem. If anything, the extra rainfall in spring and fall, even showers throughout summer, proved to be quite a boon to both my flower and vegetable gardens... Truly, PNW looks lush and green ALL YEAR LONG!

Don't let the misconception that "it's always raining in Washington" mislead you into thinking the more heat and drought-loving plants wouldn't do so well in the area... The PNW, as gardengal stated, can get pretty hot and dry in the summer time, but not to any extremes that would make it unsuitable for more delicate plants.

PNW has a very moderate climate that gets a taste of everything, thus allowing for a huge range of gardening potential... Roses, hostas, ferns, and rhodos all thrive, just as do tomatoes and melons, even 'dry climate' favorites like succulents and some cacti do pretty darn well. Overall, it's just such a versatile climate, and an absolutely great area to live in.

Lots of nature and wildlife, great fishing (especially salmon), thick and lush forests and rich meadow and farmland, friendly people, great clean air... And EXCELLENT gardening conditions!!! What more could one want?

Aside from PNW experience, I spent my whole life living and gardening in Northern California - Menocino and Humboldt regions - and this would be my next suggested 'perfect' gardening area. Great weather and moderate climate, similar to PNW, but less wet and hotter summers, and the only real bad pest problems I encountered were the persistent deer.. but, I admit I was living in the 'wilderness' so it's quite natural to encounter 'wild' problems.

Well, good luck in your search, and I just hope you consider the Pacific Northwest as a possibility because it's really such a lovely place to live, play and garden.