Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Probably a very DUMB fertilizer question

Posted by pbaby z4 Wisconsin (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 14:41

Hello, excuse this dumb question, but...after fall when all my perennials are cut down, should I put manure or fertilizer or something to amend the soil? I got a little hasty (and lazy) this summer and didn't take a lot of time to add stuff to my beds and am wondering if there's something I can do in the Fall so that next Spring it'll be good to go.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Probably a very DUMB fertilizer question

you can do anything from spreading a layer of compost/manure over the beds (called 'top dressing') to lifting your perennials, and rototilling (or forking, if you're in to the old-school, back-breaking ways) the same 'organic matter' into the bed, then resetting the plants, watering, and mulching the whole shebang.

in most cases, it depends on the quality of the soil you started with, and whether the perennials you have are brats (things like roses and other heavy feeders) or not.

o

But, I wouldn't necessarily add fertilizer. Manure and other organic amendments and dressings are wonderful.

o

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 18:08

And I sure wouldn't lift my perennials after they had been "put to bed"....that is cut down after frost.
After frost.....cut all down that needs to be cut back....pull out the annuals, plant your spring bulbs.....and then dop dress with some compost or well rotted manure.....and for the bulbs, add a bit of bone meal.
Linda C

o

• Posted by pbaby z4 Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 11:44

Thank you for your responses. I guess by fertilizer I really meant manure. I was kind of hoping I could just put a bunch of manure down and it would sink deep over the winter so I didn't have to lift everything out and "do it right"...like I should have the FIRST TIME!!!

o

You will still get plenty of benefits from the addition of manure (well composted) to your planting beds. The soil does not obtain the full benefit of the coarse organic material and the aeration of mechanical mixing, obviously.

But what you propose is still 'a good thing'!

o

Just something to add...that wasn't a dumb question at all.
There aren't any dumb questions because that's how we all learn. That was a good question.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 12, 05 at 18:20

Really, Clemmybug?

Why is there an "s" in the word "lisp".

How much can I get away with and still go to heaven?

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

If our knees were on the backs of our legs, what would chairs look like?

If somebody misspelled word in the dictionary, how would we know?

Since God can do anything - can he make a rock so big even he can't lift it?

I'll watch for your retraction. ;o)

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here