Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rch69

Fescue sod help

rch69
9 years ago

Hello everybody, I'm hoping I can get some good guidance from this moment on, as I have a brown thumb, and need some serious help. 3 weeks ago my wife and I purchased a condo. It had no grass in backyard due to all being concrete slabs. We had a 10 x 6 slab removed so we could plant grass for our 3 chi's. Anyways, had slab removed, I went and got dirt to fill the hole and I laid some fescue sod down, looked awesome when done. I was told by Home Depot where I purchased that I should water 3 times a day 1inch of water 3 times a day for 3 weeks till it took root, then water once a day. The temp has been avg 85� for last 3 weeks as well. I followed the directions given, and at 2 weeks started to turn brown. I went back and asked for more advice and was told to use some Scott's turf builder food and seed with more fescue. Now I have blotches of yellow grass, and a thousand flys/gnats everywhere. My wife did some research and discovered that we overwatered and have a possible fungus. She read that we should let dry out for a couple of weeks, then mix a hydrogen peroxide solution to apply to kills the fungus and larvae, and as you can see in pic supplied, we've hung yellow tape to try to control the flys.

My question is, is the above advice given seem right? This is new to me and I want to get corrected ASAP. I'm being told fescue is resilient and will come back beautiful eventually over time. I also don't want to put down anything chemical wise that will hurt the pets either. Thank you in advance.