Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lylleee

Advice on removing Daylilies and replacing with another Perennial

Lylleee
12 years ago

I'm a newbie to gardening. I bought a house that has plants bordering 3 sides and most of them are Daylilies. The area is about 19" wide and extends 38'x30'x26'. The 38'portion is along a blacktop driveway. The Daylilies are overpowering the flower bed. Is there a way to thin them or kill just them and not harm the Rose bushes and other bushes? I like the Daylilies but they're too much for me to maintain. Also, I've gotten Poision Ivy a few times, as it is located in this bed and I have trouble identifying it. I'm scared of snakes and when this gets overgrown they're in it. I've lived here for 3 summers and each year I vow to learn how to take care of these plants. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (9)

• lisanti07028
    12 years ago

Are they the orange "ditch lilies"? They can be thuggish. Why don't you just dig them up and toss them?

• Lylleee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lisanti - Thanks for your advice. They are orange like in ditches. Someone told me they are Daylilies. I started to dig them this spring (and I tossed most of them and gave a few to someone who really wanted some) but what a job! It got bushy before I could get it finished. I've learned lots since then!! Wondering about an easy to care for replacement. I think all the lilies must go or they're going to be popping up all the time! Now debating on going with rock and just using pots or keeping mulch in the bed and either planting or using pots.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Mulch and something relatively care-free (trim if they get too big or unshapely) like a few knockout roses might be more to your liking. Maybe mock orange (Philadelphus - buy in bloom only to be sure it's one with good fragrance) or beauty berry (Callicarpa) shrubs might do well. Sounds like it's a pretty sunny spot. For such a large area, look for small shrubs. For less maintenance, look for perennial plants that stay in a clump, avoid those that grow by runners, rhizomes, or that make a lot of seeds.

Think you'll regret if you go with rock. You'll still get weeds and eventually, the rocks will be IN the dirt, not ON it. And there are no nutritive benefits from rocks as there are from an organic mulch. However, a few big rocks can add an incredible amount of character to an otherwise relatively "empty" area, giving it a more finished look, especially if you make a slight depression so it looks like it's partially buried.

Ditch lilies are 1 of over a thousand kinds of daylilies. Most are not so vigorously-spreading, or tall. Don't be afraid if you see a pretty one for sale somewhere. Most people wish their bought daylilies would multiply more quickly.

12 years ago

For such a large area, look for small shrubs. I meant instead of having mostly smaller perennials, shrubs might look more proportionate in such a large spot. I didn't mean literally tiny bushes, or that there's anything wrong with buying full-sized ones if your wallet will allow.

• Lylleee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Purpleinopp - Thanks for advising! I really want it to look nice and I've never taken time to educate myself on gardening. I'll look at the suggestions. I have THE COMPLETE BOOK OF GARDEN FLOWERS. There are already 4 shrubs and 2 Rose Bushes in the bed. Perhaps a few more would make it easier and better looking....
    Cheers!

12 years ago

You're welcome. :)

• Lylleee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Purpleinopp - I've seen some knockout roses and I think I'll add some to the area. Perhaps I'll also fill it in with some potted Portulaca. I can remember having these for a few seasons in the 1980's and I really enjoyed them. As for any Perennials, I'll be sure to go with those that stay in a clump regardless of in-ground or potted.

Regards!

12 years ago

Sounds lovely. Enjoy!

• vetivert8
    12 years ago

You might find it easier for the coming season to simply plant annuals and add a mulch that will break down.

The roses and other shrubs will benefit from the extra feeding AND you will be able to catch the inevitable daylilies that miss your first clearance. They are pretty good at growing back from small pieces left behind.

If you know you have to evict poison ivy then more roses might not be comfortable for routine working.

I liked your portulaca idea. That can be so colourful. Gazanias and Arctotis could work, too.