Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Established Forsythia (3+yrs) are suddenly wilting and looking il

Posted by Saxidani 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 15:37

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my forsythia shrubs and am not really sure where to look. My forsythia were transplanted to our new home three summers ago. They have been doing splendidly and have grown by leaps and bounds, some are upwards of ten feet or more now. However all of a sudden it seemed like over night one seemed to be wilted, a few days later the one next to it is wilted, and a third is beginning to wilt as well. It's progressing from the back corner of our property line up towards the front of our property line.

We haven't introduced anything new to the yard that could have infected them with something. I looked at the leaves and they don't seem to be chewed on by anything or the like and I don't see any insects.

Our summer hasn't been too hot, and we have had a decent amount of rain at pretty regular intervals.

I am desperate not to lose these as they are the only thing offering us privacy in our back yard from a less than savory property next to us.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Established Forsythia (3+yrs) are suddenly wilting and lookin

Did you look at the ground around the shrubs? Is the ground disturbed - by an animal digging or the like? Is there any damage to the trunks (again, by an animal, or a weedeater)?

o

I went out and checked around the bases of them and nothing seems to be disturbed or out of place. There has been a lot of stray cats around the neighborhood this summer, but I don't see any evidence of them digging back there to do their business.

My backyard is also completely fenced in with four foot high chain link fence, and there is no gate. Entry is only possible from the garage or directly through the house.

I hand weed around all of the bushes and trees out back, so no trunk damage.

o

I just googles forsythia wilt, and there is at least one fungal disease that affects forsythia. So that's a possibility. I do recommend that you post your question in the Shrubs forum here on Gardenweb. I also recommend that you check the soil to see just how wet/damp/dry the plants are, just to be sure.

I am just about positive that the people on the Shrubs forum will point you in the right direction. Good luck.

o

I will cut and paste this to the shrub forum like you suggested, I wasn't sure where to post this at first. :)

I checked the soil, it doesn't seem too dry but I am wondering if I should water or not, they are forecasting rain for my area today and tomorrow and don't want to risk over watering if we get heavy rain.

Thanks again for all of your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here