Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zola_ny

need fast growing shade tree

zola_ny
17 years ago

a few years back we had to cut down a very large tree that was diseased. we didn't realize just how sunny our southwest facing yard was til it was gone! it's unbearable in the summer .

was wondering if anyone had ideas on fast growing shade trees.

also if there are suggestions ,some pros and cons if you're familiar with the tree

thanks!

Comments (5)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Fast grower doesn't equal "good" strong, tidy and all the other attribites of a slow growing tree.
    Silver maple grows fast, but is soft and prone to breaking and it has those blasted airplane seeds in the spring...but it's a lovely tree!
    A cotton wood grows fast....and dumps cotton all over inthe spring and looses it's leaves early, like mid to late August. An ash grows pretty rapidly as does a swamp birch....and all drop stuff.
    Frankly I would go with a silver maple, while it's a dirty tree ( drops seeds and bits of twigs) it has leaves that shrivel and can almost be mulched where they fall, turns a lovely yellow and grows to a lovely tree.
    Linda C

• sdzol_cs_com
    17 years ago

someone suggested euro hornbeam , any info?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Hornbeams are great trees and IMO, highly underused. Either European (Carpinus betulus) or American (C. caroliniana) are good choices and would do equally as well. American hornbeams are also well-suited for moist or poorly draining situations. Not a particularly fast growing tree (but then fast is not always better) but one that is adaptable to a range of situations and is seldom troubled by any pests or diseases.

For a more rapidly growing shade tree, I'd consider a form of red maple. A zillion cultivars to choose from, nearly all of which will offer good fall color. The wider canopy, larger leaf and faster growth habit will provide shade to your garden more rapidly than most other trees. And a good, sturdy tree to boot (better rated than the somewhat faster growing silver maple).

• tom2112
    17 years ago

Be careful what you wish for. In general, the faster the tree grows, the weaker the wood. Meaning the tree is more prone to damage in high wind.

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

I have the same problem - we had to cut down a 50 y/o silver maple, which had very large branches that were stretching over the house. Not only did it change my yard from a cool shady retreat to a hot bed in the summer, the house heats up more than it did. Part of me misses it, the a larger part is glad that behemouth is gone.

I read somewhere that silver maples are know to drop large branches even without a storm or high winds present; they will just break off. Silver maples are very weak trees. Also, the root system is invasive which frustrates many gardeners because it's very shallow roots will take over, and will rob the soil of moisture and nutrients. Lawn grass doesn't grow well, and few perennials will grow well underneath it.