Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of Flower is this....

Posted by Rainy_Day 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 05 at 17:57

I really love this flower/plant it's a Perennial. It has long grassy like dark green leaves and deep red long blooms. I'd like to get more but I have no idea what it's called... it was here when I moved in.
Copy and paste the link to see a picture.
http://public.fotki.com/HisMercy/flowers/flower.html

Please post if you know or have any ideas??
Thanks,
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of Flower is this....

It looks like Crocosmia to me, maybe the cultivar 'Lucifer.'

o

Oooooo, that is a pretty plant! I don't think it's a Crocosmia though. At least it doesn't look like the ones in this post:

Here is a link that might be useful: Luck with Crocosmia

o

Crocosmia - I have some in my garden, too, but it's never been as lush as this one. What's your secret, Kathy? :)

o

Well I looked up Crocosmia,the cultivar 'Lucifer.' and I found a picture of a close-up of the bloom and so I went out and got one of my blooms it was an exact match!! So thank you all for the help!!

Also I put a mixture of plain old knox gelatin and water on my plants...sounds silly but it really helps them grow!!
(1 packet per 5 gallon pail)

o

Hmmmm, my eyes must not have bee working right that day... LOL
Looks like I'll have to go shopping for some Crocosmia and knox gelatin...

Rita

o

I was given a velvetie flat stemmed flower(that is shaped like a V)and has little black seed that come from the stem and i dont know the time of season to plant them and the location(sunny semi etc)

o

Can you tell me what the name of this plant/flower is? I got the cutting off a plant at work. It had never bloomed at work before. Imagine my surprise when mine bloomed! And then, yesterday, I noticed after all the red blooms fall off, the inside of the white 'bell' looks like the second picture. Amazing! I just want to know more about it.
http://picasaweb.google.com/briley88/Flower

Here is a link that might be useful: http://picasaweb.google.com/briley88/Flower

o

abriley@gorge.net.....That looks like a bleeding heart.

o

abriley, do a search under Clerodendron thomsoniae (aka: glory bower, bleeding heart, bag flower). A semitropical plant best grown as a houseplant. Needs warmish conditions and bright light.

And FWIW, you will get more responses if you do not tag on to the tail end of another post but post under a new thread heading. It is also considered a breach of 'net etiquette :-) Many original posters request an email follow-up to their questions and add-ons or hijacked threads are rude in that respect.

o

Hi folks,
I am a gardeing novice and my fiance took this picture in vietnam last october, we have since used parts of this image on our wedding stationary etc and would love to have some of these at our wedding but neither of us know what they are - any ideas?
Thanks
Riann

Here is a link that might be useful: name this flower

o

riann they are plumeria I'm pretty sure. I did a set of photos of these a few years ago. They're tropical and the petals overlap like that one in the picture.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 2, 08 at 16:24

Yes, plumeria.

o

I shot this purple flower in early May @ the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.
Can anyone tell me what this is? I think it might be some sort of Allium, but it doesn't seem 'Full' enough

Here is a link that might be useful: what flower

o
What kind of Flowers are these?

I shot these flowers in early May @ the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.
Can anyone tell me what this is? I think it might be some sort of Allium, but it doesn't seem "Full" enough

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow balls

o
What is this?

I shot this white flower in early May @ the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.
Can anyone tell me what this is? I think it might be some sort of Allium

Here is a link that might be useful: white flower

o

Marc -if you repost either on the Bulbs forum or the Name That Plant! forum you'll have a good chance of getting the answer you're after.

Hope that helps.

PS That's a nice photo, BTW.

o

Can anyone tell me what kind of flower this is? I saw it at the Minneapolis Rose Garden in October.

Here is a link that might be useful: Please Click Here - What kind of flower is this!?

o

It's a lantana, looks like Confetti.

o
: What kind of Flower is this?

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190360_10150411781720492_894070491_17775126_1812527_n.jpg

o

Looks like Lycianthes rantonnetii, aka blue potato bush.

There IS a forum specifically for plant identification - Name That Plant! It is very active and you will get an answer very rapidly. Much more effective than tagging on to a very old thread on a forum that gets very little traffic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here