Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Prune Flowers / Shrubs

Posted by utgal 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 05 at 18:10

Hi guys, I have a small garden on my patio and all my plants are doing great. I just started the garden a couple of months ago. Nothing is dead, but I noticed that the plants that produce flowers need to be pruned. I have no idea how to do this; I'm afraid if I prune the wrong way I will kill the plant. I have a gloriosa daisy, a purple coneflower, a bougainvillea and sweet memory sky flower that I'm particularly concerned about. The sky flower is beginning to look a bit tired. How do you prune these plants? I want to make sure I cut the the right way in the right spot so that they produce more blooms and don't die.

Also, I have some ivies (have no idea what kind) that I would like to propagate. Where on the vine should I cut, and do I just stick the cut vine into the soil to grow?

I've attached pictures - thanks!

http://tinypic.com/af7ggy.jpg
http://tinypic.com/af7fo7.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Prune Flowers / Shrubs

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 13, 05 at 20:00

Neither of these plants will be killed by improper pruning....
Just whack off what you don't want and observe where the new growth emerges. Then you will know where to cut the next time.
That is not an ivy it's a pothos...
And if you copy and paste the url of the site where your pictures are into the line that says "Optional link URL"....everyone can see it with a lot less problems.
Linda C

o

And yes, the pothos should root in water. Or stick a pot of soil under one of the vines, pin the vine to the top of the soil (an old fashoined hair pin or bent paper clip) and keep moist.

o

Thanks! And thanks for clarification on the pothos - like I said, I'm new but I do enjoy gardening. It's very relaxing for me and has become one of my new favorite hobbies!

o

do i need to remove flower on hens and chicks to prevent them from dying?

o

They won't die if you don't remove the flowers....and they will re seed....but I think those flower stalks look awful, so I cut them off.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here