Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amadeusll

Umbrella tree WORM infestation

amadeusLL
18 years ago

Dear all,

I am currently having worm infestation problems with my umbrella tree (brassaia actinophylla?).

I bought my dear plant about three weeks ago from a Home Depot (I'm located in Cambridge, MA), unlabeled, but seemingly healthy. However, there were many small worms (the length and color of a white rice grain, but three times thinner, approx 1 cm x 0.01 cm) crawling around in its pot at that time already. The plant lady there said it wasn't a problem.

I believed her until a few days ago when the lower leaves (the leaves towards the inside of the tree's canopy) became shriveled and dark greyish-brown. The other green leaves surrounding it look heavy and limp. At first I thought it was due to lack of watering, but it has been watered several times a week already. I looked into the pot and was immediately frightened by the dramatic increase of tiny white worms on the surface of the soil - almost entirely covering the surface of the soil!

What are these exponentially-multiplying worms, and are they responsible for the tree's obvious unhappiness? What should I do to get rid of them and make the plant healthy again? Please help!

Thanks,

Lisa

Comments (4)