Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troubled garden, grass is it Bad Soil?

Posted by UrbanGardner100 none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 18:37

Hi all, I'm kinda new to gardening. I went ahead and planted a bunch of different plants. I've planted forsythias, knockout roses, shrubs etc. Unfortunately, my plants don't look as healthy as they did when I had them in pots. I've tried using miracle grow to help with growth but to no avail. I've also added some compost thinking that would help but it didn't. I'm also in nyc so I'm worried that my soil won't be strong enough to help my plants endure the colder temperatures. What else could I possibly do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troubled garden, grass is it Bad Soil?

It is impossible to tell what may be the problem just based on your description - photos would certainly help. But it could also be a variety of factors - soil conditions, planting techniques, watering, proper siting for light conditions, etc., etc........ btw, it is never recommended to fertilize stressed plants - it only stresses them further.

Not sure I understand that last bit.....what do you mean by your soil not being "strong enough"?

More details, photos, any further clarification you can provide and we might be able to provide some meaningful advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here