Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Plant Reacting To Touch

Posted by
madmatt100 48506
(madmatt100@sbcglobal.net) on
Tue, Aug 23, 05 at 20:06

Hello:
While visiting relatives, they showed my family and I a plant in their backyard. It seemed to grow from a central root area, with shoots going in multiple directions within a 4' radius. There are reddish-brown leaves/petals on each shoot.
What is most peculiar is that, if one were to brush one's fingertips on either a subshoot,or a petal/leaf, the entire length of the subshoot or petal will deliberately contract on itself; touch a shoot, and one can see an entire length close towards the main vine in seconds (forcefully as well, not merely imagined).
Would anyone be able to Identify this interesting plant? All my relatives could say was that it's kind were being given away at a local flower ship with purchases. If anyone has a guess, please let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Plant Reacting To Touch

I think prayer plant does that, but it's a houseplant.

o

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 23, 05 at 22:30

Sensitive plant....a variety of mimosa...rather common.
Linda C

o

Prayer plants don't respond to touch. Their form of response to environmental stimuli (tropism) is called nyctinastic tropism....reponse to night and day. Thigmotropism is the reponse to a physical touch of some sort. The Mimosa pudica ('Sensitive Plant) is a very common weed in many parts of the country, and considered an oddity by those who are not familiar with it. I've seen it sold in supermarkets, etc.

If this isn't the plant in question (it's impossible to tell from your description), I'd be surprised.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mimosa pudica

o

I think rhizo1 is right. It could be Mimosa pudica. I remember it from a high school project about such peculiar plants. We used to call it "Touch-me-not". It would shrink back upon touching it.
Vaishali

o

I have a Mimosa pudica that I brought home for my daughter to tease. It is now over 4 feet in width and 1 foot high. I plan to use them as ground cover next year in one of my beds. It blooms regularly with fifty to one hundred of these little purple pom poms every few days or so. And actually, entire branches will droop in response to stimuli. It's a defense mechanism which exposes the thorns on the branches to animals attempting to eat the leaves.

Mimosa pudica

o

If the stupid thing is a weed, then why is mine dying? :^(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here