Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catie_gw

Outdoor Plant Mold

catie
18 years ago

Despite this summer's hot and steamy weather, I have managed to grow 4 flowering climbing plants in pots, 2 Madevilla and 2 other unnamed things with flower like a bleeding heart. I feed the plants with Miracle Grow occasionally and use a slug poison to rid the plants of those gross leaf eaters. The past 2 mornings, I found 1" layers of a disgusting fluffy white mold growing over the soil. Yuk. Any suggestions on what I can do to cure the problem before it affects the soil and root system? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Probable a slime mold (dog vomit fungus). Many references to it on various forums. The spores were likely in the mulch - it's harmless, even if unsightly. A search on the key words slime mold or dog vomit will bring up lots of info.

Al

• catherine_gp
    18 years ago

Al,

Before I posted, I actually did do a search and found the other references to dog vomit. However, the descriptions of that problem didn't sound like the "months in the fridge" science experiement that appeared on top of my soil. I spooned out the fluffy stuff both (very steamy) mornings, and this a.m. (hot, bright sun/not quite as steamy), there wasn't any mold.

I saw references to using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide as a kind of "cure all" for garden ails, but the idea of spreading that makes me nervous. Then again, what do I know ;- )

• lindac
    18 years ago

3% peroxide is often used as a mouth wash.....you are save putting it on your soil.....and while you are at it....add a few drops of listerine to the mix!
    Linda C

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

There are many many kinds of slime molds.....only a few really qualify to be labeled 'dog vomit'. However, an image would solve the problem!

Anyway, it is very likely that it is one of the slime molds, and therefore not a problem for your plants. However, physical removal or spraying with strong streams of water should get rid of it. I don't see the problem with using household strength H2O2.

• retired_lt_comcast_net
    17 years ago

How do I treat fungus / infection on gardenia?

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

Adele - please post your question as a separate thread (directions are at the bottom of each forum) and give more detailed information. Is the gardenia in a pot? What are the exact symptoms? There is a big difference between fungi and infections. Where are you seeing the problem - leaves, soil, stems? If you can, include a photo of the affected area.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Catie, just to add my $.02 worth, few soil surface fungi are harmful to plants - they are generally just the visual aspect of a normal decomposition process of some organic matter in the soil. The ones that cause problems tend not to be so noticeable, unfortunately :-)

This may not be applicable in your case, but eco-safe slug baits, those that are based on iron phosphate, tend to develop a furry, fungal appearance as they become moist and begin to biodegrade.

• vj190_aol_com
    17 years ago

thank goodness for searches! i just discovered that my recent spring planted...mother of thyme garden...and...4 of my outdoor flowering planters have a thin fluffy layer of mold covering the visable soil. the weather has been particularly steamy with serious rain storms in between. without rain i would normally water daily. the rain last watered two days ago. i discovered the mold today...what should i do?

• lzippy
    16 years ago

gardengal48 has shed light on my problem! I have been noticing a white fuzzy mold on the soil around my plants usually about 1 to 2 weeks after using eco-safe slug bait. I typically just scrape it off--doesn't seem to harm the plants.
    Should I switch bait to avoid the mold? Has anyone successfully tried hydrogen peroxide for this problem?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

It's not a problem. You don't need to change your slug bait and you don't need to treat with H2O2.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus