Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Outdoor Plant Mold

Posted by
Catie MD
(cpower924@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 21:14

Despite this summer's hot and steamy weather, I have managed to grow 4 flowering climbing plants in pots, 2 Madevilla and 2 other unnamed things with flower like a bleeding heart. I feed the plants with Miracle Grow occasionally and use a slug poison to rid the plants of those gross leaf eaters. The past 2 mornings, I found 1" layers of a disgusting fluffy white mold growing over the soil. Yuk. Any suggestions on what I can do to cure the problem before it affects the soil and root system? Thanks!


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Outdoor Plant Mold

  • Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 12, 05 at 7:18

Probable a slime mold (dog vomit fungus). Many references to it on various forums. The spores were likely in the mulch - it's harmless, even if unsightly. A search on the key words slime mold or dog vomit will bring up lots of info.

Al


 o
RE: Outdoor Plant Mold

Al,

Before I posted, I actually did do a search and found the other references to dog vomit. However, the descriptions of that problem didn't sound like the "months in the fridge" science experiement that appeared on top of my soil. I spooned out the fluffy stuff both (very steamy) mornings, and this a.m. (hot, bright sun/not quite as steamy), there wasn't any mold.

I saw references to using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide as a kind of "cure all" for garden ails, but the idea of spreading that makes me nervous. Then again, what do I know ;- )


 o
RE: Outdoor Plant Mold

  • Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 12, 05 at 12:05

3% peroxide is often used as a mouth wash.....you are save putting it on your soil.....and while you are at it....add a few drops of listerine to the mix!
Linda C


 o
RE: Outdoor Plant Mold

There are many many kinds of slime molds.....only a few really qualify to be labeled 'dog vomit'. However, an image would solve the problem!

Anyway, it is very likely that it is one of the slime molds, and therefore not a problem for your plants. However, physical removal or spraying with strong streams of water should get rid of it. I don't see the problem with using household strength H2O2.


 o
gardenia fungus

How do I treat fungus / infection on gardenia?


 o
RE: Outdoor Plant Mold

Adele - please post your question as a separate thread (directions are at the bottom of each forum) and give more detailed information. Is the gardenia in a pot? What are the exact symptoms? There is a big difference between fungi and infections. Where are you seeing the problem - leaves, soil, stems? If you can, include a photo of the affected area.


 o
RE: Outdoor Plant Mold

Catie, just to add my $.02 worth, few soil surface fungi are harmful to plants - they are generally just the visual aspect of a normal decomposition process of some organic matter in the soil. The ones that cause problems tend not to be so noticeable, unfortunately :-)

This may not be applicable in your case, but eco-safe slug baits, those that are based on iron phosphate, tend to develop a furry, fungal appearance as they become moist and begin to biodegrade.


 o
RE: Outdoor Plant Mold

thank goodness for searches! i just discovered that my recent spring planted...mother of thyme garden...and...4 of my outdoor flowering planters have a thin fluffy layer of mold covering the visable soil. the weather has been particularly steamy with serious rain storms in between. without rain i would normally water daily. the rain last watered two days ago. i discovered the mold today...what should i do?


 o
RE: Outdoor Plant Mold

gardengal48 has shed light on my problem! I have been noticing a white fuzzy mold on the soil around my plants usually about 1 to 2 weeks after using eco-safe slug bait. I typically just scrape it off--doesn't seem to harm the plants.
Should I switch bait to avoid the mold? Has anyone successfully tried hydrogen peroxide for this problem?


 o
RE: Outdoor Plant Mold

It's not a problem. You don't need to change your slug bait and you don't need to treat with H2O2.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here