Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forsythia gone limp

Posted by UrbanGardner100 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 22:25

I have a Forsythia plant that just doesn't seem to be doing all that well. I've watered it properly and mulched it. Most recently I added some compost to it but it's still hasn't done anything to really help. I would feed it miracle grow food every few weeks but that hasn't helped either. The leaves are limp and no matter what I try these just don't perk up as it used to. It's a young plant that I got earlier this year. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forsythia gone limp

Have you checked the moisture content of the original rootball? If so, is it dry, moist or wet?

Likely you need to drizzle water directly onto the original rootball.

o

So you mean dig it out check the moisture there, water and replant?

o

No. Stick your finger into the rootball where it now is.

o

When was it planted, and was it purchased as a potted or bare-root plant, or was it dug up and given to you? Basically, how much of the root mass was lost before you planted it.

o

I would feed it miracle grow food every few weeks but that hasn't helped either. I assume you meant I did feed it every two weeks -

You have over fertilized your plant. - this will inhibit the roots from taking up water. OR CAUSE IT TO WILT.

STOP the MG.

Hopefully it survived the summer fertilizer treatment. And the soil is not flushed free of the N P K.

I rarely fertilize my plants, and when I do it is a granular organic fertilizer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Design Ideas

o

Is there any mulch below the surface? (There shouldn't be unless/until it naturally it works itself there.) These few chips of wood do not constitute having mulched. That would require at least 1 whole bag in a circle around the tree, as far out as it will spread at a depth of 2-5 inches, depending on average particle size. For pieces of wood that size, I'd go with a thick layer, and probably 2 bags, making a circle at least as wide as the drip-line of the canopy. There's never a wrong time to add a layer of mulch, unless the ground is muddy and you're trampling footprints.

However, looks like there's some grass trying to creep in on what you already cleared for this planting. If you put a layer of overlapping cardboard around the base (no closer than necessary to suppress what's growing around it,) under the mulch, you won't have to worry about the grass growing up through the mulch, which it certainly will if not smothered or pulled first. Then installing a little border around the mulch, to separate grass area from mulch area, will keep both on their side of the line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here