Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krissymac_gw

sad looking peace lily

KrissyMac
18 years ago

Lately my peace lily has been sad too often. I transplanted it a month ago into a nice large pot and it sits near my patio doors so it gets indirect light. However, it seems "sad" a few times a week versus once a week when I first got it. So I give it a glass and a half of water and it seems to be OK. What am I doing wrong? Too much water? I just put it outside on my porch for a week (some sun in a.m. but shade throughout day) and gave it miracle grow a couple of times, but now it's back indoors.

Comments (16)

• gardenergail
    18 years ago

Have you ever seen those glass vases with plants in the top and fish in the bottom that people keep in their office (or at home)? The plants in those are often peace lilies! They LOVE lots of water!! So much so that you could just grow them it in. So you could start by increasing the amount of water you give it. It probably looks "sad" when it's too dry. They will droop severely if not given enough water. Additionally, they can grow in practically NO light, that's one reason they make good houseplants, because you can grow them whether you have a sunny window or not. Hope this helps...
    Gail

• gardenergail
    18 years ago

I forgot to mention...
    From my personal experience with them, if they are potted, they like to be slightly tight in the root area, so "potting it up" to a larger container could be negatively affecting it. Not to worry, though. If you give it plenty of water and fertilize it as you have, it will fill that pot up with roots, too. I wouldn't go so far as to pot it back down a size.
    Gail

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Over potting is often the cause of problems with peace lilies, as well as with other plants. Placing our houseplants into 'nice, big' containers is NOT a good thing! The reason is that all of that soil becomes stagnant and roots may rot. This is a plant that is very prone to root and crown rot.

Also, you are giving your plant what amounts to little sips of water. The proper way to water a container plant is to drench the heck out of it when the time is right so that plenty of water drains from the holes in the bottom. Drenching is the only way we can be certain that the entire soil mass is moist and that dry pocket don't form. Then, the drying out process begins again. If you have a good potting mix, you will never have to worry about overwatering, just under watering.

Personally, I would not fertilize your plant again until it has settled down. Fertilizer is not medicine. You want your plant to be able to 'concentrate' on developing new roots, not new foliage. You may not even need to fertilize it again until next spring. I know this will seem horrid to those fertilizer lovers!! ;-) If you don't think you can fight against that urge to play nurse to your plant, add some very diluted tea to your water.....it can't hurt the plant, and it will make you feel better!

• gardenergail
    18 years ago

Thanks, rhizo1, that is good info! I don't regularly fertilize anything, but I guess I'm one of those people that figures "it can't hurt"... but sometimes it CAN! The diluted tea thing is good to know, too.
    Gail

• lucinymd_gmail_com
    18 years ago

i have 2 peace lilies that i just noticed that have super tiny white little 'insects'. what are those? when i first bought the lilies they had 2 or 3 flowers, but turned green, so i cut them. they have never bloomed again. also, the leaves seems to have started to get a brown 'crust' all around them. please help!!!

• zadlo616_comcast_net
    18 years ago

Mine was very happy at one time. I forgot & left it standing in water for a day..now its drooping & the leaves are turning yellow. My diagnosis is probably root rot. I have trimmed off the damaged ones. Can this be saved or I am I doomed? Any advice would be appreciated, as this was from my Grandmothers funeral..

• lisadaigneault_hotmail_com
    18 years ago

I recieved two lily plants for halloween....The flowers on them were a beautiful orange...Now the flowers are gone but the rest of the plant is really pretty so i'd like to repot them and see what happens...I'm not sure what type of lilies these are so if anyone knows and can tell me the best way to treat and repot them that would be great...thank you!

• peter4
    18 years ago

Mine has brown-tipped leaves. What's causing that? It seems like every week there are at least one of two brown-tipped leaves, and sometimes a totally dead one.

• cheryl_fabianbernard_gowlings_com
    18 years ago

I have a peace lily in a vase, there was a betta in there at one time but he has since died and now it is just the lily. I have recently moved offices and when I did I trimmed the roots, as they were overgrown, and changed the water. Now the lily is getting yellow leaves and is looking droopy. What should I be doing to perk it up???

• imh404_yahoo_com
    18 years ago

I received a peace lily plant from my mom. She couldn't take care of it and it's in really bad condition. I have repotted the plant and trimmed off the bad leaves. There are not alot of leaves left and most of them have little brown and yellow spots on them. (I didn't want to cut all the leaves off) what do I do? Is there hope for this plant? Should I give up?

• mingust_bellsouth_net
    18 years ago

I live in the Atlanta Area, and have a wonderful peace lily growing on my window sill, but as warm as it gets down here, I'm wondering about planting her outside? It gets down in the lower 20s-mid 30s during the winter, but I'm wondering if she could be covered well in the winter and come back during the warm weather.

Thanks for your help, and hope you are having a great evening!

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

You might post on the Container Gardening Forum.

( have 2 small peace lilies that spent most of the winter outdoors, since I had no other place to put them, & they made it through the cold, but they definitely would have done better inside.)

• dragonflyby
    18 years ago

Yellowing leaves might mean not enough water.

Brown tips mean there isn't enough humidity. Peace lilies like it humid. Mist the plant with water once a day, or put it on a dish filled with gravel and filled with water (the gravel keeps the roots from rotting). Another way is double potting it. I put my potted 4" peace lily in another 8" container and filled the outer layer with peat moss and kept the peat moss damp. The water evaporates and raises the humidity around the plant. My peace lily really loved this and was 60% bigger than another peace lily that I didn't do this to. I only had one spare container. lol

• camassia2004_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

I have a peace lily that appears to have root rot. It still has a good crown, but the lower leaves are always turning yellow and dying off. Is there anything I can do, or is it a lost cause? Thanks so much for your help!

• carolinewit
    12 years ago

What do the yellowing leaves mean?

• vetivert8
    11 years ago

Hi carolinewit.

It really depends what you've been doing with the plant before the leaves turned yellow.

Could be hungry. Thirsty. In need of a little more light. Less heat. Needing repotting. Taking it out of any water it may be standing in. Better drain holes in its pot.

Peace lilies usually get repotted in spring-early summer, so now would be a good time to give it a new pot and some fresh mix - then see how it's looking in 4-6 weeks time.