17 years ago

I do not even know what zone i live in.

A true beginner.

Its the southern coast of OR.

I am proud I finally came up with a user name that wasn't already in use. Alder

Comments (5)

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

At the top of this forum, click the tab labeled "Resources", zone finder is about 1/2-way down on the right.

Keep in mind that planting zones are based on average high/low temperatures in a general geographic region. *Your* location could easily be a zone or more different depending on such things as whether you live near a large body of water, or are at the top or bottom of a hill, and whether the garden is facing south, and whether its climate is influenced by things such as being near a brick house! Even within your property, you likely find "mini-zones" that differ considerably from the official zone. For example, I have a south-slope veg garden on the east side of a brick house, also protected by a brick garage next door. My official Zone is 6B, but I can start planting much earlier, and continue harvesting much later due to the true climate of that garden -- it's a mini-climate similar to zone 8b! OTOH, I also have an area away from buildings but heavily shaded; any plant I put there had better be able to tolerate a zone 5 winter!

You will find that keeping your own records will give you a better guide to real-life in your garden. Use the planting zones as guides towards a plant's tolerance -and remember that Mother Nature has a sense of humor when determining whether or not a plant is suitable for a locale.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Alder, at least a good solid Z8, and if in the extreme south on the ocean with a marine influence, possibly Z9a

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Hardiness Zone Map

• alder
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Meldy NVA and Morz8
    The maps you directed me to were very helpful.
    I am going with Zone 8.
    I suppose I should be in the Pacific Northwest group, but since i am starting a new
    garden, I thought I could be here too. What you said about the mini zones in our yards was very good Meldy and helpful to me as I begin to create this yard.
    I have a large empty area around my house, which is on top of a hill, near the Pacific Ocean. There used to be more fir trees, but some have been taken out to let light in. When the loggers took the trees, they cleared the area around the house with a cat:( Yes, a huge yellow caterpillar! I was in shock when I saw this whole yard had been scraped down to red clay.
    So my project this summer has been to begin creating a yard. I worked on the design all winter. Then had a cement patch put in behind the garage, a wooden deck is almost finished, the water lines are back in and I have faucets around and plenty of water. My biggest push right now is to recreate the soil. I have red clay. Lots of packed red clay. We do not live in an area where you can go down to the landscapers yard or even a Walmart (believe it or not) and buy large quantities of soil mix. I have access to a loader, a pick-up, sand, chips, sawdust and mulch from the forest? I bought large bales of peat since they were light enough for me to bring home. I started compost, but its small. I have heard seaweed from the beach is good, but thatÂs very heavy and I am not a spring chicken. How to build the soil, in a very large area around the house? I know how to make chowder, but have no recipe for creating good soil, good dirt.
    Alder

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

If you've got chips, sawdust, and organic mulch, then you've got a great beginning for making your own soil. Do a search here for 'lasagna' which is a catchy name for making your own soil by putting the ingredients in layers. You'll have to eyeball your supplies to decide what goes in as 'brown' and what may be considered 'green'. Keep in mind that the bulkier the particles, the longer it takes them to break down, so save most of the chips for the top layer/mulch. Figure that it's going to take at least a season to get your first batch cooked, but the good part about lasagna is that so many plants like to have it fresh -- the hard part is trying to figure out how much it will sink down as it matures. I expect a 12"-tall lasagna to sink to 4" within the first few months and down to 2 or 3" in a year. That's a lot of shrinkage, but it's really neat to have all that lovely rich soil! Remember to try to keep the lasagna just barely moist; too wet will drown the worms and good soil-making bacteria and too dry will take them much longer to convert the raw materials into soil.

I would suggest using thin cardboard or about 10-15 sheets of newspaper for the bottom layer (this seems to call the earthworms as well as eliminate stray weeds), then alternate layers with 2 sheets of newspaper between each layer, from the bottom up: cardboard or newspaper, a thin layer of chips, a thick layer of shredded leaves, a medium-thick layer of your red clay and sawdust mixed together 50/50, and repeat until at least 12" high, remembering to sprinkle with water as you go if needed to get the general moisture to that of a damp sponge. If you are willing to use bloodmeal, cottonseed meal, and/or alfalfa pellets, sprinkle over each sawdust/clay layer to speed up the conversion. Top off with about 2" of chips for your finish mulch. The chips will provide substance and heavy particles for good drainage but they will take a couple years to break down into compost. If you can get real greenery such as weeds, grass clippings, or restuarant- kitchen discards, the lasagna will cook faster and be better.

Considering that you have at hand sawdust, chips, and soil (even if it is red clay), you can mix those together (the one good use for a rototiller) to get them started cooking. As you bring in true greenery (mowings, etc.), make your lasagna in the desired location by alternating the sawdust mix with the real greens and always use newspaper or cardboard between each layer.

• alder
    Original Author
    17 years ago

O.K. Meldy NVA, I am cooking now. We have had some rain here on the coast of OR, also beautiful days that have been perfect for working on my soil. I am gathering piles of newspaper, and leaves to add to my other resources. (I toss in any huge banana slugs I find too) I will look for bloodmeal, cottonseed meal and alflafa pellets in Eugene when i go to the valley for supplies. This is alot like cooking:)
    Hope to learn how to send pictures, so you can see progress.
    Its quite messy looking now, but I know it will cook down.
    Onward! thanks. alder