Return to the New to Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this flower?

Posted by
Serenity
(Jesus_lives_2006@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Sep 14, 06 at 0:44

First I'd like to say I'm sorry I can't show you a picture. I'll put a link for a paint picture I drew but it is not a great picture. I don't have a scanner so... I used painta nd I'm not great at paint.Second, I'll give you a description of the flower. It is a vine I think. It has pretty tendrils. It's leaves have three points and the flower is purple. it has many very skinny petals that stick out like, for lack of a better word, spikes around the circumference of the flower and then there are oval petals underneath those.

Here is the link. And the picture isn't good so please don't laugh. : )

Btw, I found it near some woods in Georgia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this flower?

That's a very good drawing!

I'm 98% sure it's clematis (or alt. spelling clemetis). They can spread by seed, so your found plant may have been from what I call "a gift of the birds." The fun part of bird-gifts is that you never know just what you will get. Clematis ranges from about 2' to more than 10' in height, depending on the variety - and there are hundreds of varieties :)

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis photos

o

Looks sorta like Passion vine, too.

o

Passionflower has those stamens that stick out in front... I think it would have been drawn if there. But maybe they aren't as noticeable at some stage. Guess I'll have to grow a passiflora and find out.

Here is a link that might be useful: passionflowers

o

Perhaps it's a 'cross' (just kidding), with Clematis flowers and passion vine leaves. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora

o

Thanks so much for your help everyone! I'm pretty sure its a passionflower now because I saw a picture of one where it showed the stamens and some of the thin petals. Btw, how do you know if their fruit is ripe? I found some green things near a vine that I think was the same kind.
-Serenity

o

Since you don't know what kind of passion vine you have, you should probably allow the fruit to drop to the ground and collect it then. They need to remain on the vine to ripen. Some varieties turn purple when ripe and others turn yellow, and there are probably other colors! Let them fall and you will be able to tell from then on when the fruit is ripe.

o

Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New to Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here