Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_mi

patio is a mess, where

Chris_MI
18 years ago

The potting area/seedlings are sitting on benches on the patio-what a mess, I want to hide all of it. I also store my everyday shovel, pruners, black pots, and wheelbarrel there. I am going to hide some of it behind the swing and make a 4' tall lattice wall, but the wheel barrel still is a problem. Don't even mention the overflowing garage, sheds are not an option. What does everyone else do with their stuff?

Comments (7)

• blueheron
    18 years ago

Do you mean wheelbarrow? I put mine against the wall in the garage. As for the garden tools, some of the shovels, etc., I prop in the corner, others I hang from a beam. The hand tools I keep in a carrier that I take outside when I'm gardening. I keep this carrier on an old wooden bench. Other stuff I keep in the basement, i.e. clean pots, cold frame, seeds, etc.

It's tough to find space, I know. I save pots for reuse and I like to clean and sterilize them before storing, but I don't seem to get to it and they pile up outside.

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

On the outside of the garage, under the eaves, away from the raised eyebrows of the oh-so-tidy neighbours, I made a long and narrow cupboard for putting away pots, parking plants that need winter shelter, storing big tubs. No doors and away from the prevailing wind.

At the back of the garage I put out an extension with a clear plastic roof (I know this might be a no-way! in your zone but it works fine in this one) to cover a potting bench, parking for my potting media and fertilisers, and tool store for my hand tools.

Just beyond I have an old concrete trough which has a drainer arrangement over so I can water trays of seedlings and small pots. And give my grubby fingers a quick scrub before heading indoors...

• username_5
    18 years ago

Most of my stuff is in the basement or the garage. I am thinking of a shed too, but I just put a deck on the house and it is elevated on a slope from 1' to 8' above ground level. Once I get the area around it landscaped so neighbors can't see under it I will turn it into a storage area underneath.

My wheelbarrel sits behind my garage. It is green so it kind of blends in. I usually leave hand shovels and the like outside during the growing season. I buy cheapies for this and don't care if the elements aren't kind to them, but most of them seem to last forever anyway. I just tuck the hand tools inbetween planted areas, out of normal sight.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    18 years ago

I'd still be looking at the garage- if it's overflowing, it's past time for a harvest of un-used items.

what's the layout of your yard like? a lattice wall is a not bad idea- especially if you can integrate some kind of hanging system for for tools in to it.

an outdoor storage trunk might be a solution- I had an old china cabinet for a potting bench the first two years at my place, but it got wet, and started to delaminate all over the place, so I got a big tupperware tub with a lid that holds all my potting needs- from pots to soil to hand tools.

• triciae
    18 years ago

Hubby put in a 6' post with a birdhouse on top. The back of the birdhouse opens up completely for cleaning. I placed a piece of window screening material over the bird opening and use the "birdhouse" for keeping my small trowels, hand pruners, etc. in. They are always right in the garden easily accessible yet hidden w/a lovely false front. I also have an old, inexpensive four-drawer bureau we found at a local antique (read: junk) shop. It's against the shed wall under a huge white pine so little moisture reaches it. I use the drawers for miscellaneous gardening stuff and the top as a potting bench. We paid about $25 for the bureau, if I remember correctly. I roughy sanded the entire piece to get rid of the peeling old varnish and then painted some floral decorations on it with exterior paint. It probably sounds just awful but actually looks pretty good...quaint and very useful.

• Chris_MI
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well, with all your ideas I have a new plan, the 5 car garage won't work , because it has 5 cars in it plus a tractor-2 of the cars are just bodies and parts as my DH and DS are working on them. I refuse to give up my area in the garage for the guys. anyway, I putting all the potting supplies, soil. tools, pots, out behind the blackbery fence, can't see it from my house or the neighbor's house. I just put an underground hose out there, so I will have water, so thanks for all your hints.

• elgrillo
    18 years ago

Our 'new' home had 300' of 30 year-old cedar fencing. We have replaced about half of it so far. I am re-cycling the old pickets, rails, and posts into rustic projects that blend in to the yard: large compost bins, an eight-foot potting bench with lots of storage, and trellises for clematis and grapevines. Next to build are: borders to prevent erosion, moveable walkways in the vegetable garden, an arbor, and finally, a deacon's bench. I am even recycling the nails. It is all weatherproof, and after the new cuts in the wood have aged a little, I will apply different colors of stains to brighten up the appearance.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting